Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenmulberry

Chicken wire under raised bed?

greenmulberry
15 years ago

I have been making raised beds out of some old 6 by 6 timbers I have on my property.

So, I have had a problem with digging varmints, and thought that before I filled the bed with soil, I could lay some chicken wire down on the bottom, and this may keep the digging rodents out. (Voles? Moles? all I know is I find tunnels when I plant, and sometimes I see that something has eaten the roots of my plants.) I have plenty of chicken wire available.

Will the chicken wire on the bottom of the raised bed interfere with the root growth of things such as tomatoes, cukes and peppers? The wire would be about 5 to 6 inches below the top of the soil. I just don't know how far these plants send down roots, or if they would be troubled by chicken wire down there.

Comments (14)

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

Roots will have no difficulty growing through the chicken wire.

• deep___roots
    15 years ago

Yep. Do it. I need to excavate one of my beds to add wire. Something, probably a gopher, did for all my potatoes in that bed. I have onions & leeks in there now and they are constantly disturbed although apparently not worth eating to the varmit. Disturbing is not conducive to growth however.
    All my other raised bed creations have hardware cloth (a wire mesh that comes in various sizes and that is somewhat stiffer than chicken wire and easier to work with, but more expensive than CW) covering the bottom of the frame. It is a precaution worth installing.

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I agree with oregon...you need something with a tighter mesh if you are trying to keep out rodents...

• daryljurassic
    15 years ago

lol oregon veg

• carolynp
    15 years ago

LOL, agree with Oregonveg. My beds are 1' with study cardboard under them. Course, we've never seen an underground critter in our clay: no worms, no nothing.

Grace,
    Carolyn P.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Chicken wire has worked for me to stop ground hogs.

Jim

• james_in_lapine
    15 years ago

I used a double layer of chicken wire in the raised bed at my girlfriends place. She has a big gopher population. They haven't bothered the garden at all this year but did a lot of damage to the one last year before the wire went in. I agree that gophers could get through a single layer of chicken wire, is why I used 2 layers.

• g_f_com
    14 years ago

I have successfully used chicken wire to exclude not only chickens but also rabbits. They can't squeeze through it (unless they're babies), and they also don't like to jump higher than about 12". So foot-high raised beds lined with chicken wire on the bottom is an effective method to combat rabbits.

• sbarnes144
    10 years ago

Will galvanized chicken wire be ok to used in a raised bed, is there anything toxic in it? Is it made from aluminum which is pretty toxic?

• bananastand
    10 years ago

I attached 1/4" hardware cloth to the bottom of my raised beds with staples, and I have not had any problems. Works great. It's made from steel. Certainly no more toxic than the landscape timbers themselves, I'd think! Make sure those don't have creosote in them, or that they are not treated lumber. That could be bad.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

NoNoNo! #1 gophers will chew right through CW if not squeeze through! #2Voles will just saunter through like it was a hallway to the vege palace! #3 They will rot out in a couple of years. Do you want to dig out ALL of that dirt just to do it all again?
    Do it right the first time and use hardware (or gopher) cloth! It is worth the extra $! Our origional 4 beds have not failed in13 and 10 years. We had a shovel go through accidentally in one bed, but were able to dig down and repair the tear in the wire.
    All those tiny rhodents can squeeze themselves down to about the size of a fat thumb.Sorry I was so adament! LOL I hate gophers! LOL Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

NoNoNo! #1 gophers will chew right through CW if not squeeze through! #2Voles will just saunter through like it was a hallway to the vege palace! #3 They will rot out in a couple of years. Do you want to dig out ALL of that dirt just to do it all again?
    Do it right the first time and use hardware (or gopher) cloth! It is worth the extra $! Our origional 4 beds have not failed in13 and 10 years. We had a shovel go through accidentally in one bed, but were able to dig down and repair the tear in the wire.
    All those tiny rhodents can squeeze themselves down to about the size of a fat thumb.Sorry I was so adament! LOL I hate gophers! LOL Nancy

• Michael Smith
    3 years ago

Y'all need to do a little research about lead leaching from chicken wire. No friggin way would i put it in a mat beneath the plants unless it was a stainless steel variety or specifically noted as lead free.