o
Tomatos not ripening??

Posted by soilgarden 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 11:39

Tons of big plump green tomatos but their not ripening, any explanation? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatos not ripening??

Patience. It takes about a few weeks for a tomato to ripen once it reaches full size. The weather and other things factor in as well.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Timeline

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 13:09

o

Must be the weather. I've never seen so many green tomato's not turning. This time last year i was canning and making salsa, this year ive had 6 ripe maters is all so far.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 14:28

Average time between fruit set and ripening is 6-7 weeks minimum and if you read all the other posts of this question over on the Tomatoes forum you'll discover you aren't alone in your impatience. :)

Dave.

o

Back home, where tomatoes should be all harvested by August 10 because of the cold nights bringing phytophthora, we use to ripen tomatoes faster by removing all flowers, small tomatoes and at least half of the leaves... We didn't get much tomatoes, but at least got some ripe). I like them grow in September- October now in much milder climate and do not rush them anymore.

o

Global warming and all of that.

Actually no.

My corn this year made me go into the total guessing game as to when to pick.

Read the book "Cold Sun". I can`t remember who it was written by. The guy who wrote it was a NASA scientist who was initially laughed at by his colleagues but later was found to be correct.

I have been having some strange stuff happening in the garden over the last couple of years. What the writer of that book stated, may hold a key in the role of what our planet is going through right now.

YMMV.

o

Well, those of you who get early frosts, you can pick them and if they even have a hint of blush, they will ripen on your counter top just fine!
I have a counter (in my newish kitchen) that just holds pickings, either ripening or getting ready to process! Nancy

o

ha, Nancy,
I am not that fancy - I have flat boxes on top of my 2 dog's crates - almost like an extra counter) Sometime pure creatures fly out of the crates, when I start moving boxes around to get what I need)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here