Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecucumbers

Potato plants falling over

I've been all over the forum today, posting questions. If I'm posting too many for one day, please let me know. Don't want to get annoying, it's just that I grow a lot of different stuff.

In short: I planted potatoes. They came up, nice and strong. I am covering them with hay. But they keep toppling over. It's rained a lot here, and I fear slugs.

Must I stake them? Sigh. I've used all my stakes on my tomatoes. It would mean buying more. But I will if I must.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

It's normal for potato plants to lay over as they age. One reason why they need such wide rows. Especially if they get limited sun exposure and so grow quite leggy. It poses so threat to the plant, staking is not required and damages the underground potatoes, keep the mulch to prevent greening of the potatoes themselves, slugs pose only a minimal threat to potatoes.

If they are in the way, blocking access to other plants you ban usually just lift the plant and lay it back the other way.

Dave

• ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, what excellent news. Thank you so much.

• tcstoehr
    9 years ago

Yeah... not to worry. My potatoes are falling over and yellowing as they do every year at this time. But I happen to know there's plenty of spuds under the ground. When the vines are completely dead I'll start eating taters.

• changingitup
    9 years ago

That is good news. Mine are starting to fall over too. They are also growing balls, as in the attached pic, are yours? And what are they for? Are they seeds?

{{gwi:86126}}

• mfyss
    9 years ago

You have potato fruit, which will contain seed. Should remind you of green tomatoes (mistaken reports of potatoes producing tomatoes are common) and demonstrates how closely related these plants are. Yale

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Potato plants are messy and unkempt. It's normal. As for changingitup's photo, those are potato fruits. They are similar to tomatoes but poisonous. You could let them ripen and they would produce true potato seeds. The seeds could produce small tubers if you plant them next year, and the tubers would produce potatoes the following year. But the potatoes they produce will probably be different and less desirable than the potatoes you started with this year.

• ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just took out two rows of reds. Didn't use hay this year--it doesn't work for me, it attracts voles. And with the rain we've had, I'd have had slugs galore. The potatoes were the biggest and most beautiful I've grown yet. Must have gotten 60 pounds from two rows, and a 5-pound bag of seed potatoes.

• chigardenlady
    8 years ago

Nice.when did you plant them? The tops had died back already? Mine got planted late and are taking forever to die back. They are green and healthy and flowered already. No signs of being done anytime soon. I've heard of cutting off the vines and then letting the potatoes cure, but I always just wait for them to die back naturally. I would like to use the space for other things this year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting