Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shriveled leaves on bush green bean seedlings

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 4, MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 12:09

I went to check my bush green bean seedlings. I have 8
in a 10 gallon container. They're divided into two "rows"
and there are 4 bush green bean plants per row.

When I went to look at them today the bottom pair of leaves
looked shriveled. These aren't the pair of true leaves; the true leaves have just started to develop.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If so what can I do to treat this problem? If this is a problem and the cause of the problem is due to the weather being too cool, there is unfortunately nothing I can really do except to put them in full sunlight; I have already put them in an area that pretty much receives full sunlight for the duration of the day.

The reason I'm asking is because I've never grown bush green beans before. I don't know where the "fruit" or "blossom" of the bush green bean seedlings develop.

The rest of the plant, including the stem and the pair
of big leaves it has, plus the true leaves that have just started to develop a few days ago look perfectly healthy
and they're thriving.

Given what the weather is like where I live, which is
cool and breezy currently I'm surprised that my bush green bean seedlings are growing as well as they are because I know green beans are a warm weather crop and don't like
weather that is too cold.

Another question I have although it has nothing to do with the original topic is should I thin out my bush green bean seedlings? I've been debating doing so. However I'm reluctant to do so because the type of green beans I have are bush green beans which means they are designed to be more tolerant of being spaced closely together and designed for container gardening. If I were to thin them I would do 4 bush green bean plants in the container I have
as opposed to the current 8 I have. The reason I'm asking if I should thin them out is because I know overcrowding is bad for a plant and makes them more vulnerable to diseases and it stresses the plant out. This makes the plant more likely to die something I'm trying to avoid.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shriveled leaves on bush green bean seedlings

What you're seeing are the cotyledons. They sustain the seedling until the first set of true leaves appear, and it's normal for them to shrivel and die.

As for thinning them out, I grew bush beans 2 seasons ago in a square foot garden. I planted 9 per square foot and they thrived.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parts of a seedling

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here