Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash bugs: alternative to carbaryl and pyrethrin

Posted by idgardener Idaho (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 12:18

Squash bugs killed one of squash plants already, but I'd like to save my cucumber, zucchinis, and melon plants.

I tried a pyrethrin spray, but it didn't seem to have much affect on them. Maybe I should try pyrethrin again, in a higher dose?

I'm really not crazy about using Sevin/carbaryl on vegetables. I've read that it is a broad spectrum insecticide, and I have other plants that need bee pollination. I've also read that it is a carcinogen.

I have too many plants to kill all the squash bugs by hand. It would take a whole day unfortunately.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash bugs: alternative to carbaryl and pyrethrin

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 12:51

Sevin does not efficiently kill adult squash bugs anyway. They seem to be impervious to it. And I've never seen a recommendation for any other kind of spray that kills them.

So if you want to control them, you might plant some yellow or Hubbard squash, trap crops, a bit away from your garden and let them feast there. Those are their favorite cucurbits and they'll usually leave the others alone if these are available. Get one of those hand vacs and clean the squash plants a couple of times a week to keep the numbers down.

o

I squish when I water and remove all eggs from leaves that I find. Last year they ran me over until I began to squish them. My husband used Sevin power with no results at all. I have never tried squishing because neighbor said the smell would draw more...it doesn't...must be an old wives tale!

Good luck...I found eggs on my Burgess Buttercup Squash and the leaf of a watermelon nearby this morning.
Peggy

o

Try this thread
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0713245517521.html

o

I'll try the soap and water one tonight.

o

Planting later (June) has worked for me the past three years ... just luck?! There are a few bugs when I water the plants & they come up from the ground where I see & 'squash' them. Some say a late planting by-passes most of the egg laying ...?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here