Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mailman22_gw

Is this watermelon?

mailman22
16 years ago

Before you ask, I'll explain why I don't know. I started all my plants indoors. pumpkins, canteloupe, watermelons, etc. Well, to make a long story short, after an argument over how much time I would have to spend in garden with a baby just been born, all the plants were placed outside in a huff. They were rained on and not taken care of since I wasn't going to be able to put in my garden.The markers I had used were washed out, so that I didn't know which plant was which. My wife came around and decided I could do the garden as long as I had the time for the baby. I said, of course I would. So....I planted what I thought was pumpkins with pumpkins and melons with melons. I had not tried melons before so I don't know what young ones look like. I obviously planted both together, I think. here is a shot of what I think is a melon next to a pumpkin. Is it?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:86666}}

Comments (15)

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

yep, the green one is a melon, the yellow one is a pumpkin.

• mailman22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, the yellow one is the one I was questioning. The green one I'm pretty sure is a pumpkin.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    16 years ago

It's hard to tell if both are on the same vine but both seem to be different varieties of pumpkins. If both are on the same vine then that's one mutant strain you have there. Some varieties start off green and some start off yellow.

• mailman22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok thanks. And no, they are on different vines. The leaves are different also.

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

I'd say neither are watermelon. Unless I've never seen a different leaf pattern, watermelon leaves are very distinctive.

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Agreed neither one is a watermelon. Watermelons have thin flexible stems.

• orangedragonfly
    16 years ago

the green one looks like a pumpkin by the stem. what do the leaves on the yellow one look like? Its awful round? did you do other types of melons?

• growingup
    16 years ago

The green is a pumpkin. The yellow looks like some sort of gourd or squash. Watermelon leaves to me almost look like overgrown acorn leaves when they are young. The don't fan out like a pumpkin leaf, but moreso extend like fingers. It's hard to explain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watermelon leaves

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

I agree that it's too early to tell. Give it a few weeks, you'll know.

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

My first impression is that the green one is a canteloupe of muskmelon and the yellow one is a gourd. It is kinda hard to tell from here. Glad that you got to plant some of your garden at least, I know that you were planning and looking forward to it.
    Bill P.

• korney19
    16 years ago

The yellow one looks like C. maxima (winter squash, Atlantic Giant/Big Max/Prizewinner/Lumina pumpkin, etc.) Do you have a pic of the leaves of the green one? It can be a C. pepo or C. moschata type (Connecticut Field pumpkin, Howden, pie pumpkin, etc) or even a melon. C. maxima leaves are usually shaped like a "Spade" with flatter sides and c. pepo are indented much more. I did grow a melon once, Ginger's Pride I think, that had leaves almost identical to the C. maxima type (AG pumpkin) but just smaller.

• wayne_perrier
    16 years ago

Guaranteed neither is a watermelon. I agree, the big one does look like an immature pumpkin and the small one does look likse some sort of squash.

Wayne

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I have a pumpkin that looks exactly like the green one...

• mailman22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I found some of the packets in the garage of what I started in basement. I found a watermelon(sweet crimson), Jack o' Lantern pumpkin, and Prizewinner Hybrid pumpkin. Maybe that can help. Here is a shot of both leaves together. The rounder leaf is the vine the round yellow fruit is on. The other is the green one. I appreciate everyone's replies and help. Thanks!

I think korney19 pretty much nailed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:86667}}

• korney19
    16 years ago

Yellow = Prizewinner
    Green = Jack o' Lantern

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting