Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daryljurassic

Q: When is corn ready to harvest? A: When the raccoons eat it all

daryljurassic
15 years ago

Had to vent. After putting up a huge scarecrow, several pie pans on strings and rat-traps, the coons chowed on my corn again for the second night in a row. Must be ready to harvest...an sh2 variety called 'Gotta Have It'. Two days ago I had about 300 ears. Today I'm close to 100. Most were only partially eaten. The ones left look like they have a week or so until they would be ready. I'm not very optmistic at this point. I know they can easily climb over the 4 foot fence but was surprised when they didn't set off a single trap. The only satisfaction: about a 100 feet away, they did happen to get into a bowl of antifreeze(oops.) If they weren't nocturnal, they would be eating lead & copper...

Until I can justify the expense of an electric fence, this is the last time I plant corn. They also are trying out the ripe tomatoes. First time thats ever happened.

Comments (28)

• anney
    15 years ago

You know, I think I'd take those partially-eaten ears, shuck them, lace them with something poisonous, and lay them around the perimeter of the corn-patch tonight.

Or call the nearest animal control agency and ask if they can set traps in your garden to catch them for you.

I normally don't get too agitated about wildlife in the garden, though I was sure ticked off when the chipmunks ate most of my strawberries, but then I've never had raccoons decimating my corn.

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

DarylJurassic, I can relate. After 4 years straight of having raccoons raid the corn I decided to get an electric fence. It was surprisingly inexpensive. I paid about $40 around 5 or so years ago. I realize that the setup would be a bit more than that today, but not sure how much more.

My fence charger is a RedSnapr brand type which I found at Home Depot. The charger was $30 and the wire and insulators were about $10. It keeps out all of the smaller animals that want to raid my garden. It keeps rabbits from eating the beans, oppossums from eating the strawberries, and (when it's on during the day) squirrels from raiding the tomatoes. I usually set the charger on a timer so that it is active only at night. Only once, when the wire was grounded out from weeds, did I have the raccoons raid the corn. I know now to check the voltage at corn picking time.

My only concern at the time was with our cat, but he has not been harmed one bit. (I noted that he puts his nose near the wire and apparently can tell when it's on.)

When you get one you will probably want to set it up so that you can take up and put down the wire in short order. I have a couple of extension cord reels that I use to coil up the electric fence wire - see link below. I have different lengths on the different reels so that I can fence smaller sections of the garden if needed. Also, I have poles with the wire insulators that can easily be moved if necessary. A 5 gallon bucket covers the charger attached to a post near the garden.

My neighbor behind me just recently mentioned that he was not able to harvest any of his corn because the raccoons had raided his garden. There were no raids in my garden. The electric fence was the best garden investments that I have ever made. I don't think you will be sorry if you decide to purchased one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Cord Reel

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know nothing about electric fences but...eletricity would be a problem. My garden is about 500 feet from my house and about 250 feet from my barn to the closest corner of the garden fence. Is there one that runs off a car type battery? If so, how long might a charge last?

anney: I thought about that, hence the antifreeze...Any other xxx suggestions? My concern(s), besides the innocent critters is that the poison may end up in my garden(karma lol). There will be a couple bowls of antifreeze & corn stew tonight but still kept a distance from the garden. I'm in a rural area and my yard is fenced so dogs are very unlikely to drink the antifreeze. Skunks are welcome to have a drink. After a couple of smelly nights, I shot one last week. That and some mothballs under my deck, problem solved. While they might...detract coons, I have read that mothballs are bad to put in a vegetable garden.

• bklyn2pok
    15 years ago

I was told by someone that there is a solar powered version of the electric fence charger. I don't have anymore info on it but it's worth a quick google search.

• jwstell42
    15 years ago

Yes they do make chargers which are entirely solar - no need to run electric to them.

If I remember correctly they are about $50 - which is cheap if you consider to run the electric out of your house would probably cost $1 a day (some estimate i read somewhere), so in about two months, you've paid for your solar charger, which should last for years.

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

DarylJurasic, my charger is connected to a storeroom wall outlet via a 100 ft extension cord. How far from an outlet are you? If 250 ft then that might be doable via extension cord(s). However, I'm not sure about using extension cords if running 500 ft.

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dang, a quick search at Tractor Supply Company and there are some inexpensive solar fence batteries. Might be too late for this year - at least this plot. I do have a small plot of corn that I started July 1, hoping for a warm September...There are a couple of TSC's near me & I will look into it further. One general question would be: what goes over the gate to the garden(electrically speaking)? Nothing or do you turn in off while in the garden...?

• garbird
    15 years ago

Have you ever tried coon on the cob? Haha. I've been dealing with these little theives for years, and they make it hard to grow anything in my small urban garden. I bought a Hav-a-hart trap and caught about 30 coons and possums combined. I relocated them far from home until fuel became cost prohibitive. Now I am considering finding some good recipes for cooking them. Has anyone ever tried eating thes things?

• anney
    15 years ago

Ask Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies for recipes!

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

DarylJurassic, my wires are set at 6 and 12 inches off ground so I just step over them. If you have a fenced-in garden then you will probably want to put the wires outside of the fenced area (but so that you can still open your gate.)

{{gwi:86700}}

• sandhill_farms
    15 years ago

Pretty good patch of corn there grandad, how many plants do you figure are planted there? I just got through (this past Monday) seeding (150) plants.

Greg
    Nevada

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Greg, In a good year I usually pick abound 3 1/2 dozen ears per row, or maybe slightly more. This year I planted 9 rows but my production was a bit off due to a lack of raifall in the weeks leading up to harvest. I think I harvested about 3 dozen ears per row. So that would be roughly 27 dozen ears.

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My fence is 4' and the posts are 5' above ground. Could I set it up like a horse pasture, with one strand near the top of the posts or do I need 2 parallel strands? Or, would you reccommend putting it outside of the fence on seperate posts/stakes closer to the ground. The fence had originaly been put up to keep out rabbits and deer. This is only my second year of growing corn. Never had a problem with anything getting in before.

Update: Last night 2 out 4 "corn stews" got knocked over and possibly drank. They did get in the garden again but not as much damage. Also, I had a sprinkler going near my deck until 10pm and I noticed some tracks on the deck near the puddled water - looks like skunk...Might need to put out a bowl of corn stew by the house tonight.

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

As long as you set it up so that the raccoon has to touch the hot wire and then grounds out BEFORE getting into the garden area that should work. However, if you have a wooden fence then he won't be able to ground out and will just climb over the hot wire. If he climbs a metal fence and then touches the hot wire he will complete the circuit. Then he will likely be in for a 4 foot fall. But if so, oh well...

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its a metal fence so I guess that would work then. In my head I justed pictured the coon getting zapped and falling the wrong way...(inside the garden) lol.
    Does the wire need to be in a continous loop? If so, not sure how to handle the gate - its just metal fencing(very simple/crude door). Do you duck under the wire?

garbird, I have a small cage and catch chipmonks regularly. They are easy to release. Buying a big cage and trying to release a raccoon sounds tricky. I have heard some do this with skunks also...Whats the trick here. A pistol?

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

The wire does not "need" to be in a continuous loop but I think you'd want it to otherwise there is an open space and your garden would not be protected. I think putting the wire above and outward from the top of the fence by a couple of inches would work best... so that the raccoon doesn't fall INTO the garden. Yes, have it such that you can open the gate and duck under the wire as you noted.

I've trapped raccoons with my large Have-a-Heart trap. You only get one chance. If you miss, that's it. They won't be fooled a second time. I keep one of the trap doors closed and taped shut and put the food in a bowl at the back of the trap against the closed door. I also have a wooden box that i put over the H-A-H trap to keep the raccoon from setting off the trap by reaching in from the outside. The box has an opening for the trap entrance. Note - if the raccoon has access to fresh sweet corn, he is probably not going to bother with trying to get food out of the trap.. the bait would have to REALLY smell good!

• garbird
    15 years ago

Hi Daryljurassic, I use a piece of stiff wire about 4 ft. long to lift the door after I release the safety latch. It takes a bit of practice to get all the motions just right. I have never had an animal do anything but run away when the door is opened, but I give them a lot of respect anyway. Releasing a skunk is no big deal either. Just hold an old blanket in front of yourself as you approach the trap. When close enough just lower it over the trap so that the skunk can't spray you. When moving the trap keep enough of the blanket dragging the ground between it and your legs to keep LePew from seeing you all the time. When you release him( as you have already practised many times and have now mastered all the motions) remember to STAY BEHIND THE BLANKET. I have a freind that works for Critter Control and he taught me this trick and it really does work. I just hope you get to practise with raccoons for a while before you catch a skunk.
    I have found the best baits to be peanut butter spread directly on the bait pan( they have to lick really hard to get it off) and canned cat food (in the can and wired to the bait pan)I drill 2 small hole in the lip of the can and use bread bag ties to attach it to the pan.
    Garbird

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After the 4th night in row of theivery, I put up a solar electric fence this morning. Easy. Wish I did this last week...

• eplina
    15 years ago

when the ear begins to dry out , you should check the corn

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow corn

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"when the ear begins to dry out , you should check the corn"

Huh?

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I feel for you. I was watching a tomato I really, really wanted to try this year called Brad's Black Heart. I would say it was about 2 days shy of being fully ripe. When I checked it this morning something ate the ripest part! I am pretty sure it was a rabbit but could have been a squirel...either way if I can catch em, I'm gonna eat em!!!

Kim

• dangould
    15 years ago

here is an excellent trap. Much better than hav-a-hart traps. and low price.

Start trapping them out. There are only a few and get rid of them. Move at least 10 miles and preferrable past a big river and a big highway. the farther the better.

racoons always pick the corn a few days early before people would pick it. You can start trapping them out early well before the corn is ready.

Nothing could be easier to catch. Racoons are super easy to catch.

if you drop the trap into water the racoon will drown.

you might call the town animal control. they might pick up the coon. There should be NO need for a gun.

Here is a link that might be useful: trap

• gardenlady50
    15 years ago

My corn is being stripped off the stalks. Two nights in a row I have found cobs that the skins are shredded down neatly and the cob kernals eaten almost completely. Looks like a bare banana except for the shredded skins. Is the shredding of the skins done by racoons or deer. I live in an area that has both. I want to take care of the problem but would like to find out first what would eat the corn that way. No evidence of deer or racoon poop after their feast and the corn is not carried away. Just eaten and left either inside the rows or just on the outside. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, its been two nights since I put up the solar electric fence and all is well. The unit was $99(3 mile - smallest TSC had) plus about $20 for wire and plastic insulators. Hoped it would have been cheaper but was in a rush and very determined...I already had some rebar for posts which I cut into 1/3's and had to buy a few more lengths. Pretty easy. As Grandad suggested, I put the wires at 6" and 12" off the ground and one foot away from the base of the existing fence. I made the gate swing in. The unit is mounted to a 4x4 post and has an on off switch. Still wishing I did this a while ago. Not much corn left...I'm noticing a few late ears trying to form. I may have to hand pollenate these. Every stalk had at least two ears, some have had 3 ears and apparently a couple that may end up with 4 if you include the sucker.

I'm curious about watering the garden while/if the fence is on. Any need to be concerned - precautions???lol I have one grounding rod - 3/8 rebar 4' in the ground. Was told rebar would be suffice for this application vs. the more expensive copper grounding rod. I kinda gathered that more/multiple grounding rods made for a stronger shock. Is this true or necessary for this small of a fence? We both tried the fence and felt it...

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

DarylJurassic, so glad to hear that your problem has been solved. If my guess is right you will not regret spending the bucks. As for watering while the fence is on question, I water during the day when the fence is turned off. However, I often do have rainfall in the evening when the fence is hot. My fence charger is protected by an upside-down 5 gallon bucket so no water can get to it. Water on the wire and insulators and posts seems to cause a slight voltage drop. Any wet weeds touching the wire cause more of a voltage loss. Otherwise it works OK.

My ground post is only about a foot deep. It is made of steel, not copper but it has worked well as a ground. I sure hope you don't need to move your rebar because it is probably not going to be easy getting it out of the ground.

• loshmo_gmail_com
    14 years ago

I don't want to sound like a jerk but I'm kind of disturbed reading some of these posts. Intentional antifreeze poisoning? If you've ever seen a loved pet die from antifreeze poisoning, you know what a horrible way it is to die. To intentionally inflict that kind of suffering on any animal over corn seems pretty crappy. And drowning? I understand your frustration as I just lost my first corn to the crafty little beasts just the other night, but to poison them when you have other options (trap and release, even animal control) isn't right, and drowning them because you can't be bothered to drive far enough to let them go isn't either. This was not the advice I was hoping for.

• HU-216403086
    2 years ago

Is it safe to harvest and eat corn that raccoons have nibbled on

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    2 years ago

If the raccoons just nibbled on it then it's probably not worth eating ;-)

...but cutting off the bitten part and vigorously boiling the corn should kill any pathogens.