Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cukes dying

Posted by sharonie (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 12:25

What is killing my Cukes? I haven't seen any bugs but the plants are completely wilting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cukes dying

give us a few clues -- in pot or ground; how managed as to water & fert, and much more

Images of plant overall could help us understand the situation.

o

Hi - growing in large pots, and I have never ever had a problem before. the leaves are wilted, turning yellow and the stems are dying. I have been very careful about watering and fertilizing - organic fertilizer, lime, and compost. I have removed one stem that was literally rotten. I will try and send a photo (not a techie!). I have always grown them in pots. They are in full sun.

o

Sounds like it could be bacterial wilt transmitted by cuke beetles, even though you have not seen them. Pics would help though.

o

Mine are doing the same thing, I have the bush type plant that doesn't need a trellis. I think next year I'm going to get the vine type and put them on a trellis.

o

Most likely it is what howelbana said -- bacterial wilt transmitted by cucumber beetles.

Jim

o

Or insufficient water? Can't say without images.

o

It sounds like wilt to me too, especially since the vines are affected. Have you seen cucumber beetles? They look like lady bugs-well, they look like ugly lady bugs rather than the regular cute ones:-)

Sorry about your plants. I know that's no fun.

o

Same thing happened to my cucumbers.

Turned out to be Squash Vine Borer.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

o

I think the stem borer season is here. I have seen them on my cucurbit family too. I have sprayed them but not sure if it will prevent the death.

o

In my experience it is rare to get squash vine borers on cukes, but it can happen. Cucumber bacterial wilt, on the other hand, is inevitable in my climate. I grow only resistant varieties, and still see telltale signs from time to time.

o

I think I found the problem. I found a critter on them which explains everything. Not sure if the problem is resolved.I sprayed and removed stems but not sure if it's out of the woods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here