Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallots - when to harvest?

Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 12:39

I planted some shallots; today had to look 'how are they doing'? - so this is a clump I dug out. When are the shallots to be harvested?
I am in Ont, Canada, zone 5a (first time shallot grower ...).

TIA. Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 12:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallots - when to harvest?

I pull mine when the leaves have fallen over and yellowed.

Rodney

o

I pulled mine out last week, they are drying in the sun now. The tops were laying on the ground and dying.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 20:49

Thank you both, they are doing just that. So time to harvest.
Rina

o

I was told to wait until that bunch of shallots opens up, spreads out, and a gentle tug pulls the whole bunch out. I pulled this bunch shortly after taking this picture. This pretty much corresponded to the tops dyeing back.

o

Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:24

yolos

Thank you for that photo, mine are definitely not so open yet, and they are more covered in soil. Is it something that will happen, or maybe I planted mine too deep? I wonder if I should wait few more days?
Photo below is the same clumps, as soon as I lifted it from the soil.
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:26

o

Sorry, the above is my total knowledge for shallots. The first year I planted them they were a bust. This year they did ok. Your bulbs actually look bigger than mine. I was also told to plant them with the top of the set above ground. So it really depends how deep you planted them. If they were planted deeper than mine, then the soil may keep them from separating like mine did. But maybe you do not have to wait until they separate ??? Don't know enough to advise you.

o

As both I and stac5455 said above, the leaves are the best indication for when to harvest.

When planting, the tip of the shallot bulb (assuming you're planted bulbs and not transplants) should be about even or a little above the surface of the soil. At this planting depth the bulbs will push themselves up above the soil surface when they are bulbing, as is evidenced in yolos' photo. Deeper planted bulbs/plants will not do this.

Rina, the leaves of your shallots still look quite green to me. I think they need a little more time.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 16:57

o

Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:59

Rodney

Thank you again. I didn't pick any more; here is another photo of what's in ground. I am sure I planted them deeper than you suggested (they were bulbs, not transplants).

I have few with tall flower stalks, is that 'normal'? I am really novice at this...Thanks again. Rina

yolos
looks like you have more bulbs than me in the clumps.

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here