Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reason for tall, spindly plants

Posted by sharon_midtn (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 13:08

Hi,

My first year gardening and spring success was minimal but I'm not giving up! I had my soil tested and it was very high in phosphorus and high in potassium but they didn't test the nitrogen. I have a raised bed in full all day sun and my spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. all grew very tall and spindly. They weren't crowded at all. Would this have been because of too much nitrogen or not enough? Also, I unknowingly planted them late, around 4/17 so they got more heat than they like and never produced anything but leaves. I'm getting ready to prepare my soil for some fall crops and wondering if and how much nitrogen I need to add (if any). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reason for tall, spindly plants

spinach, cauliflower, broccoli,

Are all cool weather, early spring crops so most likely it was the heat from planting them too late. In mid-TN shoot for early March. Their response to heat is to bolt - grow tall and spindly and go to seed.

Nitrogen levels in soil are seldom tested as it isn't a stable nutrient and subject to fluctuation depending on the weather. Even back when they did test it they just made the standard recommendation of ___ amts. to add since it dissipates so readily.

I wouldn't worry about adding any fertilizer before fall planting but if you do try something that is low-dose straight N such as fish meal or liquid fish emulsion. You don't need anything else based on your soil test.

Dave

o
RE: Reason for tall, spindly plants

Thanks Dave,

I was a beginner and went by what the seed packs said then later researching this forum realized that most of what I planted should have been planted earlier, but the bed wasn't really ready before then. Also we had a pretty cool and wet spring so I was hoping for the best and calling it a learning experience, lol! Some of these things started out with 1/2" to 1" of stalk between leaves and as the spring/summer progressed it went to 3" - 4" inches of stalk between leaves. Pretty weird looking! The spinach grew very tall and spindly but at least it did put out lots of small leaves. My lettuce didn't do that, it was very pretty but the leaves were already bitter by the time it got to a size to harvest a few leaves.

I'll hold off on nitrogen then. Would it be advisable to work a little blood meal in the planting hole or side dress with it when I set out the transplants? Or later in the season?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here