Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No pollen on male yellow squash flowers

Posted by wittyraven 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 13:09

I have one yellow squash plant that keeps producing male flowers with no pollen. Just trying to understand why it's doing that? Am I doing something wrong? I water daily and fertilize every 2 weeks or so. I havent had this issue with any blooms coming off of my zucchini plants(I have 7 of those) so I went ahead and used them to pollinate the yellow's and it seems to be working. Before they were rotting off the vine and now they are looking healthy. There are about 10 fruit growing on that one plant but still no fertile males. Just trying to understand the lack of pollen on the one plant and figure out what caused it so I can avoid it next year..Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No pollen on male yellow squash flowers

There might not be a lot of it, you might not be able to detect it, but I am sure there is enough of it in every healthy male flower. I am also hand pollenating squash. So far I have done half a dozen or so.

o

Well I was trying to pollinate with them even though I couldnt see any pollen. And my squash were dieing... they stopped dieing after I started pollinating with the zucchini blooms... just strange.

o

Really strange because I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday! There was a female flower open and the male flower was almost open so i pealed it open and to be surprise, there didnt seem to be any pollen!? Just the yellow clump in the middle. I went ahead to hand pollinate anyway but I dont think I succeeded because the fruit behind the female flower doesnt look any bigger today... this isnt my first time hand pollinating but ive never come across a male with no pollen! Hoping things will get better next round!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here