Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter veg - zone 8b gulf coast Florida

Posted by jrgardner z8b FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 13:12

I'm fairly new at veg gardening and have not planted any fall/winter veg before. I've been reading that it's time to start planting fall/winter veg. But for my zone (8b) it seems early. It's so hot out and it's raining every day (1" plus). For those in my general area, what's your typical planting time and what do you plant?

Many thanks!
JR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter veg - zone 8b gulf coast Florida

• Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 11:40

JR, my guess is that you are in the same planing are as me. If so, you may want to check out the recent GW post "Fall Planting for Kids" because the comments there will apply to you. Also, after looking at the Florida Vegetable Planting Guide below, it seems to be very close to what I would follow.... in which case you would be a very slight bit early.... but come August, the planting begins.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Vegetable Planting Guide

o
RE: winter veg - zone 8b gulf coast Florida2

Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 14:01

"planting area" not "planing are"

o

So, does that mean we should plant indoors as we would in the spring a bit early or just plant directly in the garden? I, too, am very concerned about how much the high heat here could kill my little plants.

~Angela

o

Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 16:22

Angela, I'm assuming you are asking about the broccoli and cauliflower seed planting. If so, I plant these outside but they are in seed boxes under the overhang of the roof. They receive afternoon sun for about 4 hrs. They do get a bit droopy at times in the intense heat but they seem to survive nonetheless. I have not tried planting them inside so I don't know if that would be better or not.

When planting in boxes I try to plant about 3 times what I need as the heat does take it's toll on the small plants when transplanted. If this means that I have more than I need then I can usually make a bunch of folks happy. Plants in the set out in the latter part of September can usually beat the heat.

o

Thanks, Grandad. That's great advice. I am also going to plant winter squash, too. So far, I've been planting everything from seed indoors, then hardening them off slowly outdoors, then planting in the garden. I am getting about 3/4 of them to come up as seedlings that I plant. It is a lot of work, though, and I don't have much room indoors that has sunlight.

~Angela

o

That's good advice and I'll take a look at the readings -- what are your favorites to plant - I understand lettuces do well as fall/winter plantings, but what else??

o

Just a quick note that my seeds have sprouted outside with partial shade. I am so excited! I was running out of sunny areas in the house so gave it a whirl in the 100+ degree heat here. I was too scared not to have some shade, though, and they did come up! They're just starting to come up, so I can't say how many I'll get compared to indoors yet.

From what I understand, zones 7 and 8 or higher have no problem growing summer crops in the fall so I also am trying tomatoes. Not a single one has come up yet, but they also hate this high heat. I have some seedlings indoors to transplant if these do not come up. I've had the other tomatoes outside for over a week now, though, and nothing from the outside ones... ugggh

~Angela

o

In florida folks traditionally used to start toms from seed in august (I need to remind my folks to do that....), and then again around the new year. Of course the summer-started ones do have to partially shaded. The winter ones in a sunny window same as up north.

o

Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 9:28

One more comment on planting broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussels sprout seeds. I plant over a 4 week or so period starting around the first or second weekend of August and going into the first weekend of September. This allows for having an extended production and also helps for if weather does not cooperate for one of the transplantings. i.e. by not having all the marbles in one basket. In recent years I've set out about 150 combined plants but this year I plan to drop back to about 120 plants. So 4 to 5 weeks of planting seems to work for me with this number of plants.

o

Great info, pnbrown and grandad! I will definitely be planting more tomatoes and other things and doing the once a week thing as suggested in case one planting has problems. WoooHooo! I am so excited!

~Angela

o

I live in Central Fl.in Deltona and this is my 3rd season at trying to grow a garden. I have read so many books,checked out so many web sites. Followed all the best tips and I still can not grow zucchni or cucumbers. I do ok with tomatoes,green beans and onions,but everything else just doesn't produce. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I get beautiful plants,but no fruit or it shrivels up. I put in a watering system,built raised beds .I took my soil to the agriculture and had it tested. I grow most of my plants from seeds and they do well till I put them in the garden. I have been getting everyone to start planting their own gardens and mine is pitiful.Please any help!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here