Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmons

Wind-blown tomato plants

Persimmons
10 years ago

Although I don't have a picture of my cherry tomato plants, they were about 3 feet wide each, about 5-6 feet tall vines coming from the base of each. They had grown so tall above the round tom cages that I decided I would build a larger cage for the entire plot, but the strong winds in New England yesterday razed my tomatoes before I could support them.

For the most part, the plants are all alive and well--just tangled about each other and their cages--and I'd say every last vine that was growing above the cages has bent downward over the cage's top rung.

Will the tomatoes continue to grow even though the strong winds have blown them from standing upright to being completely tangled about each other. (Envision trying to unknot hair). Should I bother trying to stand the vines straight up (I'm afraid to snap anything that survived the winds).

Thanks for the advice!

Comments (5)

• mdy113
    10 years ago

I have a similar situation. I am in northern Virginia and last night we had strong winds and rain pass through.I wone up this morning and my perky 4-5 foot tall grape tomato plant had some bents in upper sections. Was kinda hunching over when up until last night was always erect. I have basically a cage around with with adjustable height rungs so I raised the rungs today to support where the plant got some bents. I am hoping the bends will go away on own. Not sure if it is due to the heavy rain or what last night. Also does anyone know if i should make something to act as a splint at the bends or not? I don't have any knots but I'm also hoping things will straighten out. Pun intended.

• mdy113
    10 years ago

I have a similar situation. I am in northern Virginia and last night we had strong winds and rain pass through.I wone up this morning and my perky 4-5 foot tall grape tomato plant had some bents in upper sections. Was kinda hunching over when up until last night was always erect. I have basically a cage around with with adjustable height rungs so I raised the rungs today to support where the plant got some bents. I am hoping the bends will go away on own. Not sure if it is due to the heavy rain or what last night. Also does anyone know if i should make something to act as a splint at the bends or not? I don't have any knots but I'm also hoping things will straighten out. Pun intended.

• Deborah-SC
    10 years ago

This also happened to me. What I did was use some cheap pantyhose cut into thin strips. Run the strip under the branch you would like to support and tie in a knot on the cage. I like pantyhose for this because there is so much give to them - they won't cut through the plants when the wind once again blows. Just support them - don't try to untangle & put upright. Good luck!

• greenmulberry
    10 years ago

They should keep growing fine if you set them back upright, and then really stake the cages well. This happens to me almost every year, it is very windy where I garden. I use large cages but it takes me a long time to go around and stake them all.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Those 3-ring cages, IMO, are "good for nothin".
    At this stage there isn't much you can do. Jus try to support them as much as you can. I would also consider some pruning to lighten them up a bit.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus