Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone here use biological "fungicides"?

Posted by Slimy_Okra 2b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:15

Such as: Actinovate, MycoGrow, RootShield and other products designed to reduce the incidence of soil-borne fungal infections through antagonism.
What crops have you used them on, and what disease suppression did you notice?
The more input, the better! Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone here use biological "fungicides"?

I never did. I just read an article that planting garlic would provide a natural fungicide for strawberries.

o

I just don't really believe in buying stuff in a bottle to spray on my garden. So I can't speak for the products you mentioned. But, I do make my own compost tea which works great on every plant in my garden. If anyones interested, Dr. Elaine Ingham has tons of very good information on growing food more "naturally".

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 16:16

Slimy - several discussions about using them over on the Tomatoes forum. Tomatoes are probably the most affected crop when it comes to soil borne diseases so they are the target crop when it comes product marketing. Potatoes and peppers less so and most other common garden vegetables have a minimal soil borne disease relationship.

What crop/soil borne diseases specifically are you exploring their use with?

Dave

o

OK, I will search that forum then. Thanks. Tomatoes should be close enough, given that it's mostly about issues with Verticillium in eggplant and pepper. The areas in question were rotated to grass for several years but still didn't quite eliminate the fungus (and I have limited area) so I would need an approach beyond just crop rotation in the future.

Too bad there aren't any resistant eggplants or hot peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here