Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Sevin Insecticide

skeip
11 years ago

I can't tell from the info on the bottle if liquid Sevin has a residual preventative effect, or if it is only toxic when sprayed wet. I am trying to keep the Japanese Beetles from eating my Basil and Marigolds. TYIA.

Steve

Comments (11)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

We used to use the Japanese beetle traps. They were quite pricey, but we could buy new little inserts for them and reuse them. They are kinda stinky, but they work well. It's gross to empty the bag of dead beetles, but a real joy not to have my roses ate up. That was back in the 80's I don't know if they still make them. We don't have them down here. Lots of other pests tho!

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Yes, they still make Japanese Beetle traps, and they're front and center this time of year when you walk in the door at places like Lowes, Home Depot, or Ace Hardware.

• gardenvt
    11 years ago

Sevin Insecticide has a life of 2 weeks. The instructions are clear about what you can spray. If a plant isn't listed, don't use Sevin on it. The Instructions will tell you to wait 2 weeks to harvest so there is no residual product on your plants.

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Most vegetables 1 day. Leafy types and fruits longer. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/pests/e331w.htm. It has virtually no residual preventive effect. A contact insecticide that will take out beetles that are present during application. Those that arrive the next day will be safe. That is why we can use it on insect pollinated plants by spraying in late afternoon after bees stop working and they will be fine next day. Don't use dust tho,it is water activated and the powder can last until it gets wet.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Steve , what is the percentage of your Sevin? If we know that, we can look up the label and help you properly interpret all of the information.

I hate seeing you use Sevin on marigolds, though, or basil if it's in bloom. Bees and other pollinators will be in serious peril. It is also very toxic to earthworms. Also important to remember is that the use of Sevin often results in a serious population explosion of other pests...especially spider mites...probably due to the loss of the population of beneficials.

Anyway, that's not what you asked. Let us know the formulation of your product so we can help you with what you need to know.

• chas045
    11 years ago

zackey, we usually have tons of japanese beetles here in North Carolina. Unfortunately, while you can trap hundreds of the little buggers, they can fly for a couple of miles and you are just drawing more in to bother you and your neighbors.

The generally accepted solutions are:
    drown um,
    squish um,
    suffer,
    and poison them with the warnings already given.

I don't usually use poison on veggies. I once met someone with a beautiful rose garden (JBs favorite) and she said it was that way because she used sevin, so I guess it works. Everyone else's roses were decimated.

• buford
    11 years ago

I tried the traps once. I had so many JBs that I had to spray them with Sevin because they were destroying cherry and crepe myrtle trees. I sprayed the bugs, not the plants. I don't know if there is a residual effect to kill them if they land later. I've used it on eggplant leaves for flea beetles, but I don't think I'd eat anything I used it on.

Milky Spore works very well. Honestly I haven't seen that many JBs after that massacre a few years ago. Maybe I wiped out the local population.

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

For the most part, non-greenhouse/enclosed-area traps are great for getting an idea of pest population in an area, but horrible for actually eradicating a pest.

• SoTX
    11 years ago

Plant garlic around your roses.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I use traps, some years I catch several QUARTS of them, this year it's very light on JBs. I use the plastic trap, used to be made by Teece, now they're called "Tanglefoot" I believe. They work very well.