Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wd8lee_gw

Vertical Gardening

wd8lee
11 years ago

I wanted to share my experiment with vertical gardening. I needed cages for my tomato plants and after looking at how expensive the better cages were, I made some out of galvanized 4" high fencing that I bought at Lowe's. These cages were not only perfect for the tomatoes but also for the vining plants as well. My garden is 4' x 16' and I have 2 celebrity tomatoes, 4 parsley, 6 sweet peppers, 4 black prince tomatoes, asparagus, onions, 2 hot peppers, 5 cherry tomatoes, 4 cucumbers, 2 crenshaw melons, zinnias, 1 sunflower and 2 watermelons. This is only possible because of the ability to grow vertically. I got 14 cages out of one roll of fencing. The cages were made with 3 sides forming a triangle. 2 of the sides are "hinged together and the last side is used to hook it together by bending the cut ends. These will be collapsible for storage at the end of the growing season. I have stakes inside of some of these cages to keep them upright initially but I have found that they are not necessary as I now have them zipped tied together and I used a piece of the leftover scrap fencing to bridge/tie them together for even more stability.

To keep the garden in check, it requires daily monitoring to look for produce that is growing inside of the cages and if I find any, I will coax them to the outside of the cage. Also, the vining plants need to get clipped once they get to the top of the cage. This will keep them from getting out of control and force growth to the plant below.

Comments (12)

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

Nice work.

I had good success growing a zucchini vertical inside a pepper cage, until SVB ate it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

They look very nice!

• AiliDeSpain
    11 years ago

awesome! Can you do this with a pumpkin plant? lol

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

A friend uses a similar set up for tomatoes. He cuts out a cross piece of the fencing here and there so he can reach inside and harvest the tomatoes. He added some flagging tape ties to mark the openings because they were hard to find when the plants grew large and leafy. He liked these better than other cages and especially liked the low cost.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I made Vertical garden for my cantaloupe by planting them beside 5 feet chain link fence and trained them to climb the fence but the problem the branches are not strong enough to hold the fruit. is a big problem and time consuming. Under each fruit I put an old pot upside down also I am making fabric bags and attach it to the fence to hold the fruit. I never thought about this but it is too late to change any thing. I lost three cantaloupes fell down. I do the same for tomatoes and cucumber but these two fruits are not heavy like the cantaloupe.

• Lori-NC
    11 years ago

Your cages look fabulous!

I have a related question myself. My tomatoes are staked. However they grew taller than their stakes. As they got larger they started to bend and hang over -- I could'nt figure out a way to correct it due to the height (I'm only 5 ft tall!). Should I have clipped my tomato plants to keep them shorter and to encourage growth lower on the plant? Unfortunately all the tomatoes are growing on the upper portions of the plants where I cannot rope them to the stake.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Lori - get a ladder or step stool. I'm short too. Probably too late to fence/cage them in now - unless you're very careful and have a lot of room to work, bend the cage around the plants b/c you can't slip over. I'm also not sure this wire will support the weight of an unpruned tomato plant.

Depending on what kind of tomato(es) you're growing clipping the tops might not be a good idea. Determinate tomatoes set fruit and ripen when they get to their genetically-predetermined height and the top fruit cluster starts to set. If you clip off the top before then you may not get fruit. In fact, you shouldn't even prune the suckers off b/c you're reducing your yield.

Check out the Tomato forum.

To the OP - I've got to try this - might be a little late for some of my cukes as they are already sprawling and grabbing onto my fence (made of same stuff, just coated with plastic). I did find getting my hand in a little tough - I planted cornichons along the edge of a bed and eggplant on the inside, thought all the cukes would grow through the fence but there are some low near the roots.

I've got some 3-ring cages I was planning on using for peppers, may have time to train the "bush" cukes in the middle of the garden into them. Or use remesh?

• wd8lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am posting a followup picture of the garden as it looks now. I am still clipping the leading ends of the cukes and have seen no adverse affect to production. My biggest concern is the watermelon plants. I have several watermelons hanging on the outside of the cages and will be monitoring their progress closely. My mother has grown Chinese winter melons for years and they can be huge. These are similar in that they are vining so typically she uses an open fencing system and the melons hang down. She has supported some of them especially the extra large ones but for the most part, they hang from their vines. I will try to post a picture of her garden and some of the winter melons.

• wd8lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's an overall picture of my mother's garden. She is growing bitter melons and winter melons.

• wd8lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the winter melons hanging from their vines.

• wd8lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is one of the larger ones The largest one was probably over 25 pounds.

• wd8lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update. I didn't want to take a chance that the vine would not support the watermelons so I made some bags out of nylon netting. I slipped the watermelon in the bag and secured it with one of those small spring loaded clips to the cage. The watermelon will be able to get all benefits of air and water without the stress on the vine.