Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic losing flavor when cooked? I posted this in alliums too

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:38

I grew Italian Late and German Porcelian garlic over the winter, first time growing them. I harvested and cured them a few weeks ago.

I brought in 2 heads to cook with this weekend. I used a clove in some scrambled eggs and I couldn't taste it! I ate a raw clove and it was hot and strong.

I put a whole peeled and crushed 2 1/2" head in the crock pot with about a quart southern peas. No garlic flavor, only a hint of garlic in the smell!

I got them mixed up so I'm not sure which is which. I think it is the Italian since it has a red tint on the skin.

Are they just supposed to be eaten raw? I'm baffled!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic losing flavor when cooked? I posted this in alliums to

The longer you cook Garlic, the more mild it gets. Garlic is usually added near the end of sauces to preserve its flavour.

o

I've never had this problem with other garlic, something different? I only sauteed the garlic for about 30 seconds before putting in the eggs.

o

Some garlics seem to do that. I stopped planting the german porcelain years ago because I thought it was just unexciting, but I have been growing an Italian Late softneck for a long time because it is very versatile... But my Italian Late may not be the same as yours, since I have seen a hardneck called that too. Anyway, a quick internet search shows german porcelain cloves with a strong pink tinge and most of my heads of Italian Late are pure white wrappers. Maybe try the othe type of garlic you grew and see how it is?

o

Some people say it increases pungency if you chop the garlic 10 minutes ahead of time so the pieces are exposed to air. I think that fresh garlic is always a bit mild. Last week I put three cloves in a loaf of homemade bread (rolled like a pinwheel, with herbs/garlic/butter) and the flavor was subtle, with little residual aroma. Adding it at the last minute to pasta salad, so that the chopped garlic barely steamed with the pasta and veggies, resulted in a much stronger punch.

o

Thanks to all! I thought the red or pink was the Italian Late (soft-neck) but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. It's been 9 or so months since I planted them! LOL

I heated up some leftover peas and added some the fresh red garlic, let it sit for about 10 m that was great.

Mark on the allium forum suggested that they might not be completely cured. He said the inner clove needs to have dry skin, mine wasn't dry, just the outside cloves. I think he is right.

Sunnibell, I will try the other, which is probably Italian Late later this week and give a report back. "Sweethang" said that if I eat anymore garlic today, I will be sleeping on the couch! LOL

o

Don't know anything about those cultivars, but volatile oil production in various herbs and bulbs can be retarded by too much N, being too moist or if lacking in another nutrient. Soil mixes that are all decomposed organic matter and sterile bits don't tend to produce good herbs or alliums for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here