Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rynegold

When to pick San Marzanos

rynegold
9 years ago

So here some pix of the San Marzanos I'm growing right now. My question is, Am I picking too early? Should I let'em get solid red? A little soft? I have no experience with this variety.

regards, mitch

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

No that's fine. They aren't ripe and ready to eat yet but will continue to ripen indoors just fine.

All varieties do best when picked just after the color break stage rather than left to fully redden on the vine. If for no other reason than you don't suffer the damage from pest, and weather. You'll find many discussions about this over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here.

Dave

• rynegold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave! I shall heed your advice.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

I agree. That is how i pick them. If that was my first harvest, i see one i might be tempted to slice...just to test the flavor a day early. Try one fully red, but still firm. Some varieties may taste best that way rather than waiting for a bit soft. And can depend on the growing season...
    rainfall last week, cloudy days, temps, etc.
    With a big haul like that, i lay them out on something softer than a basket. Or something underneath, and not touching each other. Out of direct sun to ripen evenly. I check daily and the most ripe/near-ready are lined up above the kitchen counter. Cherries are just piled in a bowl for snacking.
    -probably overkill but that is precious cargo. With a half dozen crates lined up downstairs where it is cooler, i like to check for one that may have a soft spot or blemish...
    -seems one of the cherry type often softens and brings some fruit-flies...constantly picking through.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention but those where possible need to be set upside down - stem side down. Fruit ripens from the bottom up and the shoulders can better support the weight than the bottom can.

Dave

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I just learned three new things from this one thread. :-)

• lkzz
    9 years ago

Grew them last year and picked at the same stage...mostly to avoid pests.

I let them ripen indoors. They were wonderful and made great sauce.

Where are you...mine are still green on the vine in Upstate South Carolina.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I just noticed my first Early Girl is starting to turn yellow. Northern California. Probably still a couple weeks out from picking anything, but the bright side is if there's no early frost, I'll still be eating tomatoes on Thanksgiving.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville