Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my potatoes?

Posted by rachlj 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 13:56

Hello all! I planted these babies at the end of April. They're late season, 110-135 days. German Butterball is the variety. A few weeks ago some of the vines started falling over and I began to notice some yellowing of the leaves. It's progressed, as you can see in the pic, into wilted, dead leaves, brown spotting and collapsed vines. These haven't flowered yet, and the potatoes are small (I snuck a peak to see if they'd even set any tubers). I didn't hill, only because this is my first go at growing potatoes and didn't know that was the thing to do! In the back you may see some healthier looking plants -- those are Yukon Golds and they seem to be doing fine. They've recently flowered, so I'm hoping for the best with those. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my potatoes?

I tried to post a few other pics so you can see the entire bed, but apparently the files are too big. Hopefully this pic will give you all an idea of what's wrong!

o

Doesn't look like a blight to me... If they flowered recently they could be dying back early, or it could be environmental stress. But I am no expert. Is there any mold on the leafs (top or bottom)?

o

No mold that I can see. And these haven't flowered yet. I can't see any evidence that they're about to either. My Yukon Golds, further down the bed, have flowered, but these German Butter balls haven't.

Happy to hear it doesn't look like blight! I've been worried about that.

o

Environmental stress. Heat and/or excessive sunlight very possible here in the PNW recently. (It's been hot!)

This post was edited by jean001a on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 1:07

o

Jean001a, thanks for the input. I see your in PDX, yes? I'm nearby. Do you think we've had enough heat/sun to cause this? I know we've had an unusually warm summer, but in my town the warmest has been 97, and all of the 90s came well after this began (although we did have plenty of days in the 80s). Too hot for spuds? My only other potato growing experience was as a kid in AK, and we never had this happen, but an unusually hot day was 80. So maybe heat is the culprit. Darn!

o

Potatoes can be a bit fragile as the season wears on. They might be done, but you should have potatoes after almost 3 months. They don't always flower. You might try removing the bad foliage and try some fungicide and a dose of fertilizer to extend their season a little.

o

• Posted by Skie_M Zone 7 (Southwestern (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 2:30

I'm thinking, since you didn't do that "hill" thing ... it could be over-watering for that particular variety?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here