Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firephly_gw

Zucchini shriveling up, some BEFORE flower opens.

Firephly
9 years ago

This is my first year of growing zucchini and about 5 days ago I pulled a perfect zucchini off of the plant. At that time there were two small zucchinis just starting to form (part of the reason I decided to pull the one bigger one) but within a couple of days the blossoms were starting to wilt/brown and yesterday the fruit itself shriveled up.

There is also another female flower that started to get going, but hasn't actually opened up yet and the ovary has shriveled in the same way as the two developing fruits, this morning.

I thought it was possibly a pollination problem, since I had a healthy fruit a few days ago and these seemed to be doing fine to start with, but what about the one flower that hasn't even opened yet? Could it be a lack of calcium in the soil? Did that one healthy fruit take all the calcium that was available?

It's a raised bed and several of my other plants seemed to grind to a halt, after springing up; they are still healthy, just not growing any bigger. I made up some compost tea using Dr Earth's tomato/veggie fertilizer and applied it yesterday.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!