Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

questions on kale, peas, green bean and tomato

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

This is my first time growing veggies...

I tried a fews things from seed: peas, pear tomatoes, kale and haricots verts. Naturally not all the seeds took but I DID get a bit of everything to grow.

Since I've never grown veggies (only plants/flowers), it's hard for me to grasp growing seasons for veggies. Most of my plants are perennials and grow year-round, so why isn't this the case with fruits and veggies? So long as they are getting sun and water, why does the time of year matter?

Is it that for fruits and veggies, some can tolerate heat more than others, so some are summer yielding and others are spring/fall yielding and still others late Fall?

So like if I were to try and plant new pea, haricot verts or cherry tomato seeds, might they germinate, but then the problem is that the heat over July and August would not allow them to grow properly or thrive? Or COULD I possibly do another planting?

And what about kale? Same question. Also, with regards to kale, is it the type of plant (similar to say most herb plants) whereby I can continually cut off leaves, and new growth will continually reappear so long as the plant is alive? Or will I only get one group of leaves on my kale, and once those leaves are cut, that's it?

Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• steven1032
    11 years ago

(Is it that for fruits and veggies, some can tolerate heat more than others, so some are summer yielding and others are spring/fall yielding and still others late Fall)

you hit the nail on the head. kale is a cool season veggie. the more you pick it the more it starts tasting bitter. your talking about annums. there are plants in the garden that are perrenials. like peppers and most of your herbs.

you can grow most of this in your house all year as long as you have good grow lights.

most bush beans produce all at once and that is it. then you have to replant or succession planting.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tx. ok so it sounds like i shouldn't bother planting any more seeds for any of these? But maybe I can plant more kale say mid september, for a new crop in the Fall.

I have a pot of kale that's now a decent size...the leaves are on the small side...say like the smaller leaves you might find on a head of kale at the market. But none of the leaves have yet grown as big as what I see at the market. The pot is like a gallon size. Do you think I should let the leaves get bigger or might that be it for a gallon size pot?

Also, you said the more you pick/cut the kale, the more it starts getting bitter. I assume what you are saying is that as you cut leaves off, that yes, new leaves will grow, but that each subsequent new set of leaves will be more and more bitter?

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

All bets are off for green house or house grown plants. For open field growing. All fruits are perennials and most vegetables are annuals or biennials. There are many tropical perennials in the vegetable group but in most of North American , they are grown as annuals. That includes fruiting vegetables like tomatoes and peppers and root vegetables like sweet potatoes. Kale will go until it sends up a seed head, which normally happens in the spring ( increasing daylight) It will stand mild freezes but not hard frozen ground. Peas (Pisum) like cool damp weather. tolerate frost but not hard freezes. Beans go down with the first frost. In the south heat can be a problem in midsummer for many crops, but should not bother you in New York State. I doubt that you ever see 30 or more days of triple digit temps.

There are many annual flowers, even perennials have their season. I doubt that you have roses blooming in january unless you are using a green house. In general tho, treat your vegetables as you would annual flowers and you will be ok.

• stuffradio
    11 years ago

@steven1032 "kale is a cool season veggie."
    Yes, you are correct.

@steven1032 "the more you pick it the more it starts tasting bitter."
    This however, is not the case. I haven't experienced this.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

farmerdill is right. your in a spot were temps are not a problem for cold weather crops. kale taste better when it has a light frost.

but i have planted peas during feb and the ground has frozen and the peas have still sprouted. but i usually plant after my last freeze not frost.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all....but not sure I followed or necessarily got an answer to .....can I still try planting new seeds of tomato, beans and peas now? It sounded like so long as I'm not down South (which I'm not) that these things can all still grow through the Summer...that I can still start new plants even now in the middle of the Summer?

Tx.

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Beans you need 60 days till first frost. You should have time fro a 50-55 day bean. Kale and other brassicas you can plant now and up into August for short season varieties. Probably too late for peas as they slow down to a crawl with short daylight. Tomatoes from seed , no way in the open. From seed they take at least 4.5 months.

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Beans you need 60 days till first frost. You should have time fro a 50-55 day bean. Kale and other brassicas you can plant now and up into August for short season varieties. Probably too late for peas as they slow down to a crawl with short daylight. Tomatoes from seed , no way in the open. From seed they take at least 4.5 months.