Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

what is your most comfortable garden shoes?

and also to wear in chicken run? saw sloggers but only could find up to size 10 even on web site ????rubber shoes so hot in summer....
so anyone???
thanks

Comments (32)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

My favorite pair of garden shoes is the same pair of tennis shoes that I wear everyday. They're old and beat up but they're comfortable. IF I had chickens, it would still probably be the same shoes I wear everyday. :)

Rodney

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Favorite? None. No such thing as a "comfortable shoe". :) But I compromise when I half to and wear sandals.

Dave

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Bare feet. Yes, my feet look like hell. Chicken run though...I'd have to do what rodney does and wear tennis shoes until feathers were showing in between my toes.

Kevin

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

My old Nikes - but they leak. Probably wear rubber boots in the chicken run and change once I'm done so don't track poop.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Either my tivas or crocks. But with crocks, your feet don't sweat! They do get stuff trapped in them and you have to do the crock shake. They squeak when you get water in them, but they are the closest to being barefoot you can get! DO NOT get cheap fako's ! They are made of plastic and make your feet sweat! Crocks are made from a vegetable protein (Soy?) that doesn't make your feet sweat! BELEIVE ME! Until my DH started wearing them, we had a smelly house!
    BTW Woohooman, give your feet a soak in 1 part (dollar store) Listerine, 1 part vinegar and 2 parts HOT water, then scrub away with a grinder, or whatever you use on your summer feet, and everything will sluff off.....AND smell minty fresh! I do this about every 2 weeks when I have to go out in public! ;) It really works! Nancy

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I garden in my slippers!

It's not intentional. It's that I'll walk out there in the morning with a cup of coffee--just to check things out--and, well, you know how it goes. A half hour later your coffee is sitting there cold while you're knee-deep in zucchini, picking pole beans or staking up tomatoes.

I did at least get smart and start buying rubber soled slippers, heh.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

A friend gave me a pair of kayaking shoes her husband didn't want, probably because they look kind of girlish. I have big feet for a woman and he has small feet for a man so they are only slightly too big but can get wet. They have a Velcro strap across the instep so easy on and off and they are very flexible. They have enough of a sole that I can dig with a shovel but not so stiff they are uncomfortable for stoop labor. If I am doing simple weeding, I wear cheap flip flops. I'll have to try the Listerine soak.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

No chicken run here, so I just wear flip flops to garden.

• galinas
    9 years ago

I use leather water-proof New Balance. They are wide, breathe OK - can wear them even in 90F weather. They also protect from wet grass in the morning or after rain. I do not need to tie them every time - can just slip in them. I don't have chicken run, but I compost strait horse manure, and to turn it I need to walk on it. I just hose it off the shoes later.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It depend on WHEN >

Early in the season, with rain, mud, .. I wear something water proof. Later on regular snickers. Now that there isn't much work to be done, sandals will do. How about bare foot sometimes ?

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Bogs boots in cold/wet weather. Orthaheel sandals in summer. Hiking shoes with custom orthotics in them for in between. For chicken run, Bogs makes the Urban Farmer "sandal" which is actually a crock-shaped slip on shoe that looks waterproof. I find Bogs have a very comfortable foot bed.

Good luck! Feet gotta be happy.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Constantly have on the low rubber mocs from LLBean. I'm usually in the garden for 2-3 hrs at a stretch though, not all day. DH wears NB sneakers bc there's not enough support in the rubber mocs for him. I really hate to get my feet wet or dirty, so I'm happy with the rubber. They do get warm in 90 degree temps, but in that kind of weather, I'm done with most of the hard work and not staying in the garden for long.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

I wear slip-on rubber gum/dairy boots.

• nattydoll
    9 years ago

Birckenstocks for gardening - and most other activities. haha. They are incredibly comfortable, and you can get different styles that don't look so granola. You can also rinse them off and dry them in the sun. I've had the same pair since 2008 and am only considering getting a new pair this year.

When I visit ppl with chickens, they have flip flops to wear in that area, so you don't track dirt in the house.

• LaDonna Hilton
    9 years ago

A pair of New Balance 759 trail shoes that I waterproof. I use them for all my outdoor work - gardening, mowing, etc. They have great traction, are breathable, provide protection from shovels, hoes, mower engine heat, and protect my feet from nastiness. Do I end up with a noticable sock tan line? Yes! Is this better than possible injury? Yes!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Natydoll...I also wore Birkies for YEARS! My hubby called them anti-rape devices! LOL
    I was in London during the late 70's at the Tate museum when a guy came up and said "Duuuuuuude, you from Northern California?" I affirmed and asked how he knew.....Birkies! They were only made in N cal in those days!
    I've switched to the "new" anti rape devices......Crocks! ;) Nancy

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

I have a pair of random shoes that look like sloggers, sort of, but the upper was cloth. Not hot, easy to slip on and off, and protect me from bees in the clover and chicken dits in the pen. Wish I could find another pair, these are about beat.

• planatus
    9 years ago

I go through a pair of Easy Spirit Riptides every year. They
    are more secure than slip-ons and dry fast when they're wet. I'm on my third pair, and tho I'm a cheapskate I think they're worth the money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riptides

• gardenmom
    9 years ago

I live on an old farm and had the fear f tetanus (and getting stepped on by large animals) drilled into me, so I always wear shoes and socks. No animals now, but it's a habit. I find it hard to wear sandals. I usually wear a pair of cheap canvas slip ons. I like the ones I can order from Grasshoppers. Only problem is they don't fare well in the washing machine.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I wear Crocs everywhere except in the garden. My number one boot is an Australian boot. They are easy on/off, good traction without too deep of tread, and rugged as the Outback.

Although for now I use a pair with zippers because I found them at a thrift store new for $10.00. They are easy on/off and have a good solid arch for pushing in a shovel. The tread doesn't fill with mud and they've serviced me for a couple of years now.

No laces for me ever again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rossi Endura Boots

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

Flip flops all the way!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Aili- Even in the spring when digging?
    I usually abandon my crocks when it's digging or emptying a truck of stuff. Nancy

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

when it's warm and dry? whatever is on my feet really but i've altered my shoe collection to be garden-oriented at this point pretty much. ;) flipflops, soludos espadrilles (good price and comfy), clogs.

for when i'm digging and getting muddy i've got a pair of croc boots that i love - so ridiculously comfy - don't get too hot, really soft, easy on and off and waterproof.

i can't be bothered with anything that laces or zips anymore. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: croc rain boots

• rachlj
    9 years ago

I wear crocs year-round in the garden. However, I live in the rainy Pacific NW, and am in search of a comfy, easily cleaned shoe that doesn't have holes in it (to keep the rain out) for winter gardening. If you don't deal with a lot of rain and mud, I highly recommend crocs. They're comfortable slip-ons, and so easy to keep clean!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Muuuuust Haaaave croc booooooots! Unfortunately they only have size 4,5 and 6. Maybe they'll have more in the fall. Nancy

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

"Muuuuust Haaaave croc booooooots!"
    lol yes they are the best. maybe try amazon or zappos? i'm sure they'll stock up for fall too. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: crocs

• Henry
    8 years ago

milehighgirl - What is the brand of the boots you bought at the thrift store? Is it unisex?

• fbx22
    8 years ago

Same old worn out sneakers that I wear to mow grass etc

• happyhelenr
    8 years ago

This is such a great question! I have been using an old pair of crocks but find my feet get too hot and I hate the soil in-between my toes! I also need support for my arches as I have plantar faceitus in my right foot. If anyone has any suggestions on any other type of shoe please let me know! Easy slip on/off is important preferred :)

• defrost49
    8 years ago

I hate tie shoes. Our daughter-in-law has laces on her athletic shoes changed to some sort of elastic laces so she can slip them on and off easily. I don't know if that would help. I wear a mary jane style with Velcro sold for kayaking so it's ok if they get wet. I was lucky someone gave them to me for free.

• happyhelenr
    8 years ago

that sounds great defrost49, thanks! I've may also have found something to help me with my foot problem -- all in all a good weekend of research. I have attached a link for the product just in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem! - thanks :)

http://kingbrand.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Treatment.php?REF=1094PV1