Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to plant NOW?

Posted by mollyjanea z5 RI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 14:29

i have just harvested garlic, which, in my habit of excessive-ness, took up most of my veggie garden. so now i have lots of empty beds. i meant to figure out what to plant in its place and start them earlier than now in pots, but oops. i didn't. what would you recommend i start at this point in the summer? i am in coastal new england, zone 5ish. thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to plant NOW?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 14:52

Hi Molly - there are lots of "what to plant now" discussions running here right now you'll get ideas from so I suggest you browse through them.

if you haven't already started transplants then you'll be limited to things you can direct seed - lettuces, leafy greens like spinach, and a Fall crop of bush green beans is a good place to start.

But it all depends on what you like to eat. Why plant something you won't eat? :)

Dave

o

You might get a crop of cukes in too. There's at least 60 days left.

o

Zucchini can come in yet. Green beans are in the last week for a fall crop around here. I am going to plant Super Sugar Snap Peas in 2 days. Inside in 3 inch sq. plastic pots, I am going to start my fall crop of butterhead lettuce [Skyphos], and spinach [salad] in 2 days also. These need starting indoors to germinate properly as they don't start well outdoors in the heat. After they come up, they will get part-time sunshine and get transplanted in the garden later.

o

This week I started cabbage, chard and kale in containers for setting out in a few weeks, and direct-seeded parsnips, beets and rutabagas. When the summer squash are done in a week or so I'll plant carrots. All of the leafy greens are on the planting list for the next month.

o

I was planning on planting carrots, but now I am not so sure, they seem to take a very long time, 100+ days to full maturity. I am expecting a fall frost in mid October, zone 6, is it too late to plant them? If it is I will plant something that can better handle the cold. Though I don't want things growing in November, the hungry deer will jump my 6' fence by then...

o

Peter1142, could you protect carrots with a simple low tunnel of garden fabric? I have a portable one I use to protect a late planting of bush beans from frost. We usually get a frost mid-September but if they can get through that we get some good weather and fresh beans. I just planted bush beans after harvesting garlic.

I've had good luck with spinach wintering over without protection. Even without good snowfall, it started growing in early spring. So, if it doesn't get big enough for harvest, you can always wait until spring.

Mollyjane, I think you can plant broccoli, spinach, lettuce, greens and beets. When is your first frost date? I used Johnny's Seeds calculator to get a list.

o

Peter, I have had carrots do fine with the first few frosts (mine is usually October 15th). Even after that, even if the tops die, a layer mulch makes mine harvestable for some time into the winter. I would start them now, in fact, I need to go out and start some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here