Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raistlyn

Fed up and exasperated!

raistlyn
10 years ago

This is a bit of a rant so pls just bear witih me.

In June I lost half my plants to a huge hailstorm. The tomatoes were the worst hit. However, they soldiered on and produced tons of flowers and green fruit from side shoots.

Today we had another hail storm with strong winds and lots of rain (still raining). Just about 3 cm wide and lasted 10 mins. The weather channel sent a warning and i dutifully went out and set up my protection for the tomatoes and courgettes with whatever left over fleece and plastic i had left from spring, moved the pots under the sunshade, and prayed for the best.

Just checked and have lost at least 30% of my tomatoes AGAIN! Many branches with blooms and fruit broke off even with my plastic sheet cover. Even my radish werent spared. One was uprooted (how??) and had a hole in it! The good thing: the courgettes survived well!

This is the 3rd time this season that this has happened and i am sick of it! Will I ever get tomatoes?!

Does anyone here know good ways to protect tomatoes against hail?

sorry for the rant. Tomorrow will be clean-up day again. Sigh.

Comments (6)

• lonmower
    10 years ago

Hail?
    Hell no..we got no hail in the PNW (aka God's Country)
    I do have plenty of deer trying to destroy my tomatoes.

• kai615
    10 years ago

Sorry for your troubles, hail sucks. I had one really bad storm once 5 years ago. It was one of my best years yet up to that point and this horrible, nasty, quarter size hail storm comes out of no where and you can do nothing but hope they will bounce back. Mine did that year, it wasn't as good a year as it would have been had the hail not pulverized it in the first place, but I guess I should just be happy it wasn't the tornado they were saying it could have been ;-)

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Hail sucks for the gardener. I live in an area that usually gets at least several hail storms every summer. Hasn't been any here yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

What I've come up with is this structure and I have a couple more like it. My tomatoes have grown up to the top since this photo was taken. The posts and wood are cheap enough though the hardware cloth is sort of pricey but it should last decades.

{{gwi:74644}}

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I had a wholesale nursery in Florida and a garden the first time we had a big hail storm. I felt so sorry for the plants. My dad stayed in the car in Sanford while my mom went shopping, when a major hail storm happened. Windshields were broken. Their car looked like someone had hit it with a hammer about a hundred times. All the car dealers had special sales after that storm.

• raistlyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gjcore: Thanks for sharing a picture of your hail protection. I was watching the hail pummel my garden and they dont fall vertically down. As with rain, it comes sideways as well. So your plants at the front would still receive considerable damage wont they? I thought of just getting a huge piece of sturdy plastic and just put it over the entire tomato bed (doable since i only have about 12 plants). Obviously that means I have go actually go put it on before the storm hits, unlike yours which you leave on all the time. We do get weather warnings and that was how i actually saved 60 -70% of my plants this time.

Zackey: In June when we had the huge hailstorm, my car which wasnt parked in the garage was hit too - its perhaps more than 100 round dents all over. Surprised the windscreens didnt break! Insurance company said they couldnt assess our case till end of August because they were inundated with similar cases in the region!

• gjcore
    10 years ago

In my experience here on the high plains of Colorado the most damaging hail falls mostly straight down certainly though there is some sideways action.

My setup certainly isn't perfect but it does afford a good degree of protection. If I'm at home when the next hail comes I could attach tarps, sheets or blankets to my frames. Really having any sort of frame that you could throw something over and secure would help a lot. Just covering with a tarp etc. directly on the plants only provides minimal protection.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County