Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom360

What a year! gloabal warming in my garden

gardenmom
10 years ago

All I can say about my garden this year is WOW! When we first moved to northeastern WA in the late 70's, I was told that I couldn't grow sweet corn. The nights were too cold, and danger of frost anytime til mid-July or as early as mid-Aug. And we did have that problem. It took lots of planning, watching, and tlc to get in corn by Labor Day when the hard frosts would arrive.

All that's changed in the past few years. This year, I planted the week before Mother's Day. (Mother's Day was my usual corn planting day). As usual, I covered the patch with clear plastic and removed it a week later when the corn had germinated. I lay down soaker hoses and mulch heavy. This year, I have ears forming already. I should be picking corn within the next 7 days or so.

And, I've ripe tomatoes in July for the very first time ever. Cukes like crazy and we're harvesting early potatoes. Even peppers are doing well and they are so finicky for me. Squash is running all over the garden. Just finishing up the peas - will pull the vines tomorrow. Only thing that didn't grow was spinach. I planted in mid April (as usual around here) and it came up and bolted immediately. I'll try earlier next year, assuming, of course, the snow is gone by then!

Sorry about the rest of the country with heat and rains, but here it's going the best ever.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths