Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bitter Melon root rots

Posted by YLi_123 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 14:58

Hi

Something is killing my bitter melons

The leaves of the plant started to wilt like it was lack of water. Then few days later, it died and I noticed the crown of stem was dried out.

Below pic shows root of plant that showed early sign of diesease as I saw leaves started to wilt and I pulled the plant to see what happened.

Seems like the roots started to dried out/rot and worked it's way up the stem, cutting off water and nutrients to the plant

Can someone please advise what is causing this? is there any treatment I can use to save the remaining plants?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bitter Melon root rots

Rotting roots are most likely due to overwatering. How often and how much have you been watering? What type of soil? Container or in-ground?

Rodney

o
RE: Bitter Melon root rots

these plants are in container and water once a day in morning. some of the containers have two plants in one pot. One died and the other seems to be ok as of now

I also notice a cucuzza plant ( in ground) that the stem starts to dry out( brown color) today too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here