Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germinating Broccoli Seeds

Posted by salevene none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 15:08

Hi All,

I recently acquired some Broccoli seeds and plan to grow it in the new garden.

I'm used to growing hot peppers and when I germinate those seeds, I put them in a damp coffee filter in a plastic bag until it sprouts, then move into a small pot until its ready to transplant.

Is it possible to do the same with Broccoli seeds or should I just throw them right in the a small pot with damp soil?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germinating Broccoli Seeds

As long as the soil is cool, either way will work. Broccoli is quite easy to germinate, but need a cool medium. Under 75 degrees F. Unlike peppers they do not like hot feet.

o

Thanks farmerdill.

You think I could grow one of them on my balcony in a pot this size? It receives about 4-5 hours of sun per day. 70-80 all year round...

photo 52e6d9b62aff02c79fbfdfa3b100076b.jpg

o

One plant is not going to give you much to harvest but as an interesting experiment you could try growing in that pot. However, since there is no indication of scale in the photo and you don't give dimensions it's not possible to say if it big enough. And does it have drain holes? Broccoli, like most Brassicas. germinates incredibly easily. I think it is the consequent care in a container in heat which will be the challenge.

o

I just planted broccoli direct sow and it germinated fine. Keeping it healthy the next month is going to be the challenge I think.

o

Question on this topic, just how diligently should I wanted the tiny seedlings now in the summer.. daily? For how long? They are in a shader section of the garden but still get about 5 hours sun.

o

Floral, its about 20ish centimeters in diameter that pot and about 30cm in height... Something like that (its mot too big).

Do you know if Broccoli likes a lot of water like tomatoes or very little and only when needed like hot peppers?

o

Well, I've never grown broccoli in a pot but that does seem a little small considering how tall and wide the plants grow in the open garden. Regarding watering I can't give you any rules. They will show if they need water by their behaviour. Only when needed applies to all plants - it's just that some need more than others. Feel down in the soil if you can't tell from looking at the plant. It doesn't have to be wet on top but it needs to be moist (not wet) an inch or so down.

o

Thanks floras,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here