Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gator5774

I have a white onion with a 8 inch green sprout growing from top

gator5774
9 years ago

Can I plant the onion to grow more? Do I cut a piece of the onion off like you would do with the Potato or do you plant the whole thing? Please any help would be appreciated! I have a 30 gallon tub with tons of tators growing and I had 4 habanero plants that put off really good last year! its just a random planting thing!

Comments (8)

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

It won't make more onions, it would just bolt to seed and not do anything good for you... sorry.

• mav72
    9 years ago

Well, if you want seeds, allow it to bolt (go to flower) and you can get seeds that way...

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

True, but who even knows what kind of onion it is, if it is suited for OP's day length... do onions self pollinate?

• mav72
    9 years ago

Also true... I have a habit of thinking of using them as green onions... I'm always using the leaves and scapes for cooking. I've read that one little flower can't pollinate itself but since onions grow a crown of little flowers, it's possible.

• jwhittin_gw MA/NH border 6a
    9 years ago

I planted one of those last year in my garden. It sprouted right up, made a nice onion flower, and this year I have lots of little onion babies in my garden :) I pulled them all to make room in the garden, but goes to show that sometimes nature makes things happen!

• gator5774
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its a big white onion. I was looking to grow more onions. I have a bunch of tators going. I had Habanero peppers, Sweet Banana, Serano, Jalapeno, Cayenne, and Cubanelle Peppers in the past and they did really awesome! My Habanero peppers did amazing! And they are like fire!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Note that that 'instructable' does not show any pictures of onions grown by this method. You will get onion leaves but as a way of producing bulb onions it's highly suspect.

'You can theoretically create an endless supply of onions without ever having to buy bulbs or seeds,' This is nonsense imo.

gator5774 if you seriously want to grow usable onions, rather than indulge in a a fun experiment out of curiosity, buy seed or sets and find out how to do it properly.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource