Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunny0908

Mystery Squash

bunny0908
9 years ago

Hi all. I purchased a squash plant that was labelled butternut squash, but obviously it isn't. I've looked and looked for a pic that matches it, but can't find one. Can anyone help me identify it? It started out green and striped, in the shape of a small football. Now it has turned yellow/orange.

Comments (7)

• bunny0908
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of a new one.

• glib
    9 years ago

It is a mongrel.

• bunny0908
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The inside. Is that a pumpkin seed? As you can tell, I'm a very new gardner:).

• bunny0908
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And last photo (promise!), the leaf. Someone said it is a mongrel. What is that exactly?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Basicly a pumpkin ( a type of squash) that is probably cross pollinated. Squash are VERY promiscuos within species and pumpkins, summer squash,and a large number of winter squash are in this group.

• ju1234
    9 years ago

This looks like a Columbian squash (go by a Mexican grocery store to see one, they usually have it).

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Taste it -- even if they sold you a cross pollinated plant, it may still taste good. You could try using it young (green) like you would zucchini, and once it's orange you could use it in any recipe that calls for pumpkin or winter squash. I usually taste stuff raw, and if it's passable raw, it will taste better cooked and with seasonings.

Or look up recipes for Columbian squash!