Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firsttimeveggardener

harvesting potatoes

Hi everyone,

I'm growing yukon gold potatoes and they've been doing very well! The greens are quite large but I think they have reached their final size as I haven't noticed and perceivable growth in the last few weeks. I was hoping to harvest some New potatoes off of some of the plants and wasn't sure exactly how to do it (or how to even check if they'd be ready). Is it possible to dig down in one of my plants, search for some and remove them (if found) while leaving other tubers on the same plant to grow larger potatoes. Or should I completely pull up one of the plants in the hopes that there are some there. Any advice will be helpful! Thanks!

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You can do it either way but just pulling up 1 plant is easier. It can be difficult to do a part-harvest without harming the plant if you are inexperienced.

But if you want to try it and assuming you hilled up around the plants as needed, then coming in low down at ground level on the side of the hill with your hand and just sort of feeling around will usually net you a few.

Dave

• FirstTimeVegGardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave! I took your advice and pulled up one of my plants and I'm sure glad I did! I had 5 full size potatoes there which completely surprised me (we planted the seed potatoes only 9 weeks ago). I think I will re-plant one of the potatoes as a seed potato to hopefully get another crop in the fall.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Makes me want to go check mine. I have been waiting for flowers, but I havent seen any.

Congrats on your first spuds!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!