Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra seedlings.

Posted by GoodOneJoe Minnesota (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 15:16

Hello everybody, I'm new here! I have a question about okra, I searched the forums and couldn't find anything regarding it.

I planted some okra (first time growing it) and got beautiful seedlings that in my current 80-90 degree weather are doing wonderful, there's only one thing. One of the seedlings can't break out of his seed. He sprouted, but the leaves are trapped under an unbreakable seed. Should I leave him alone? Should I trim the seed with the trapped leaves off? I can post a picture if needed.

Thank you so much,

-Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra seedlings.

I had this happen to about 50% of my seedlings. I took mine off, but I read it's not that big of a deal and you can leave them on. You need to be delicate though. I had to use my thumb nail (I have very thick/sharp nails) to split a couple of the seed casings as they didn't want to come off willingly. Most will come off with just a bit of pressure. You can moisten the casing to help in easing it off as well.

If you find one is being especially difficult, leave it for a day or two and it'll be easier to take off.

o

Also in the future you can soak the seeds overnight in water, it will help prevent this from occurring.

o

If you can't nudge it out with your nail, use a pair of scissors. Cut from the outside. You will probably end up removing a portion of both cotyledons, but as long as you don't touch the stem or the area between the cotyledons, the plant will recover.

o

Thanks guys! I went out to see how stuck on it was today and the seed fell off. It removed a bit of the leaves but we'll see how it goes.

And by the way, I didn't soak my seeds but I did freeze them in ice cubes and planted the ice cubes. I heard it worked well and all ten sprouted, and the one had the seed stuck on. So not bad.

Thanks for your help, guys.

-Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here