Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaman_gw

2011 Garden Pictures.

chaman
12 years ago

This is the first year of Gardening in my back yard.Thought to share some pictures with fellow gardeners.

Panaromic view of the Garden

{{gwi:90160}}

{{gwi:90161}}

Egg plants and Moringa oleifera

{{gwi:90162}}

Bitter melon

{{gwi:90163}}

Okra and Surti papadi

{{gwi:90164}}

Tindora vines

{{gwi:90161}}

Comments (21)

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Very Nice ;-)
    and everything looks so healthy, real good job ! !

• desperado28
    12 years ago

Everything looks very nice!

• lonmower
    12 years ago

You have created a great urban garden. What a joy to spend time out there...

• mauirose
    12 years ago

Looking good chaman!

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

Did you start the Moringa indoors?

• aaaaaaaa
    12 years ago

Chaman,

It is always wonderful to see garden pictures!! You do have beautiful veggie yard. Plants look very healty and lush.

This inspires me to post my garden pictures.

Thanks for the pictures again. And please post the updates.

Anna

• rayinpenn
    12 years ago

I'll bet you are already thinking about next years garden?

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pnbrown:
    This one is a dwarf variety.Seeds were sowed out side in the back yard garden. By the end of summer they form a good size of roots(tuber).Stems were cut off at the height of 2 feet and the roots were dug out along with stems to over winter them in doors.By June next year they are planted in the garden soil and the process is repeated every year.

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My sincere thanks to all of you for your kind words appreciating my work.That encourages me to post couple of more pictures.

Fenugreek -Methi

{{gwi:90165}}

An aging Fenugreek plant with beans for seeds.

{{gwi:90166}}

Calabash gourd - Dudhi (Lauki)
    {{gwi:90167}}

• aaaaaaaa
    12 years ago

Excellent!! Bottle Gourd already? Deers may be munching on my bottle gourd leaves as I am typing is message!!

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

Thanks, Chaman. I didn't realize Moringa can be propagated by tuber.

• terrybug
    12 years ago

How did u germinate ur bitter melom?

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

terrybug:

Soak the seeds for couple hours in warm water.Place the seeds in the fold of wet paper towel.Cover the paper towel containing seeds in a black plastic.Place the packet out side in a suuny area.Seeds will sprout in 5 to 7 days time.Once you see the white radicle emerging from the pointed side of the seed plant them in your garden soil.

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Chaman, What soil do you use for your vegetable gardening, do you buy the soil or buy ingredients to make your own. It seems like you have started all the seeds indoors first to have the plants this big by this time of the year. Thanks for sharing.

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kandhi:
    It is usually a mix of river sand,topsoil and Miracle grow garden soil.Garden surface is topped with grass cuttings whenever available.Chelated iron, Ca with D and Gypsum etc. are used as required.Mulch is always there.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    12 years ago

Nice photos and interesting plants! I've not seen some of them in gardens before and not even heard of some others. How did you decide which plants to grow?

• chauhanr
    12 years ago

Chaman, Very nice pictures. Where did you get the Fenugreek (Methi) seeds from? Are these seeds same as the ones we get from Indian grocery store?

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes.We buy Fenugreek seeds from local Indian grocery stores to use for cooking as well as planting.

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

naturegirl 2007,
    We migrated from India to US in early 70s.At that time hardly there were any tropical vegetables available that we were consuming back home in India.This inspired us to grow the vegetables according to our diet.

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eggplants and Asparagus beans are ready for picking.Before we pick them i thought to post the pics. to share with you. Eggplant fruit ready for picking. {{gwi:90168}}

Eggplant with fruits on it.
    {{gwi:90169}}

Asparagus beans.
    {{gwi:90170}}
    These pics. were photographed with help from my grand son Rajan.As I have few health problems he helps me for photography.

• shabbu
    12 years ago

Hi, great vegetable garden and great pics. I had a few questions about the soil:
    1) Where can you buy river sand from? The topsoil and miracle gro I am assuming you can get from home depot.
    Also when you mixed the river sand/topsoil and miracle gro was it all equal parts? or did you add in layers-one after the other?
    2) Did you remove the original ground soil and then add your mixture, or mixed it all together and then placed it back in the ground?
    3) When you placed mulch around the plants and in the pathways, does it prevent water from reaching the soil, doesnt the soil always become dry with mulch?
    4) Do you have a special watering system, like drip irrigation..or just with a hose pipe?
    My best plant is the eggplant in the pot..why didnt you plant those in the ground? Would love to see pictures of your tomato plants too. I am planning to do a vegetable garden next year..so any suggestions welcome.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm