Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest a Sugar Baby Watermelon?

Posted by growingup 8a tucson, az (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 15:41

I know they aren't supposed to get too big, but I was wondering when they should be harvested? My first is about the size of a soft ball.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest a Sugar Baby Watermelon?

Best not to judge by size, watermelons are pretty universal with few exceptions.

Refer to this thread to determine when watermelon is ripe...

Here is a link that might be useful: Blacktail Mountain Watermelon, ripe?

o

Yes there was just a big thread on when to predict the ripeness of them by the tendril. It is the one the pp posted. It was very helpful , as this is my first year growing watermelons. I cant wait for mine to get ripe....

Kristen

o

I have Sugar Babies right now, and there is one that looks ripe. It is about the size of a soft ball. Most watermelons have a spot that turns from white to yellow on the bottom where the melon sits on the ground. However, the melon that I am referring to has a bright yellow spot, and I think it is ready. I just want someone who seems to know what they are talking about to answer my inquiry. The overall color of the melon has changed to dark green. I am told that Sugar Babies do that when they are ripe, but the tendril does not look ready. What should I do? My plan is to wait a few more days. Is that a good plan?

o

my sugar baby watermelon is about the size of a softball and its yellow on the bottom but i don't know if i can pick it because the thred is not dried uo

o

I wouldn't pick it yet. I just read that sugar baby should be approximately 8" in diameter, but that size is not a good indicator. Mine are 8" now and I thought they were ready, so I picked one today. There were pink spots inside which were quite tasty, but the rest was still white :( I'm going to leave the others until the tendril turns brown and they no longer look shiny on the outside after reading the blacktail mountain posts from above!

o

Mine are about a foot in diameter and still not quite ready. (I think). The seed pack said "sugar baby", but they are getting pretty big.

o

What about if we count the day from seediing or transplanting?

o

Always go by the tendril and let it completely brown!

o

It is better to wait a bit longer.
Watermelon will not become spoiled by slightly becoming over ripen. Ripe Water melon can be kept for weeks in cold storage.
I think the tendril indicator is a good one.

o

I waited until the tendril turned completely brown, and the bottom is a buttery yellow color, the skin is a dark dull green, and when I cut it, it was still not ripe inside. There are pink area's and still a lot of white flesh. What am I doing wrong????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here