Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 'spaghetti squash' looks like zucchini!

Posted by tiskers 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 15:43

We planted spaghetti squash this spring for the first time. We used pre-packaged seeds and the label clearly stated SPAGHETTI SQUASH with a photo of the distinctive yellow squash.

Weeeellllll, what we have is green and stripey and looks remarkably like ZUCCHINI!!! Some are over 12" long already.

Could there have been a mistake in the seed packet (and if so, does that happen a lot???!) -- or does spaghetti squash go through a green stripey stage before it turns YELLOW??!

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 'spaghetti squash' looks like zucchini!

No, its always pretty pale. Could you post photos?

And, what is the growth habit -- long trailing vine or bush? That might be a clue, but there are a couple of bush spaghetti squash.

Overall, though, sounds like some mislabeled seeds. Happens at times.

o

This happened to me on year when I planted it right next to a bunch of zucchini...It still tastes like squash though.

o

This happened to me on year when I planted it right next to a bunch of zucchini..

Cross pollination only affects the seeds Melissa, not the fruit. Changes in the fruit only happen if you plant those crossed seeds the following year.

Tiskers - as denni said mis-labeled seeds do happen now and then. More common is the stray wrong seed or crossed seed that gets into a packet of correctly labeled seeds.

Dave

o

Thanks everyone!

OK, here are some photos of what is growing where we planted what the seed packet said was SPAGHETTI SQUASH!!!

Thoughts? Comments?!

(I'm growing ZUCCHINI, aren't I?!!!) Gah!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

The last photo could be a sphagetti squash named Stripetti or it could be a Grey type zucchini. If you have the original package, look see if it has a variety named.

o

Thanks... that's the problem, we didn't keep the seed package. But I clearly recall the picture on the front of a yellow, oval, spaghetti squash!

Should I cut one open? Would that tell for sure?

o

I would think if you cut one open you would know for sure! They are pretty whatever they are! I planted lavender from seed once and something totally different came up.

o

I second the idea of cutting one open and seeing if it's stringy. Let us know!

o
What IS it?!

Thanks for the replies!

I will cut it open and take more pictures. Hopefully that will tell us if it's a zucchini or not??!!

But it wouldn't be stringy till after it's cooked, right?

Aye yi yi!!! ;o)

o

Interesting post. My spaghetti squash is producing both types of fruit on the same vine. No question but found it very odd.

o

It doesn't look at all like zucchini to me.

o

I think something got crossed in the field where they harvested those seeds. Doesn't look like either spaghetti or zucchini.

o

You've got something like ZUCCHagetti: :D
I have a few odd plants and things too. One is a cosmos that is growing as if it is a tree, with a stem as thick as finger. And a Brandy Wine tomato with a flower as big as a dime.

o

Just curious. Were those open-pollinated heirloom seeds? If so, getting off types in the squash family is pretty common, in fact too common. Last year I grew something similar from a packet that was supposed to be pumpkins.

o

The leaves aren't zucchini leaves, there's no silver. And that striping pattern is common on a whole lot of young squashes.

o

Wow those are pretty fruit. Maybe you need to let it ripen before you pick it? Maybe it will ripen to a yellow color? Just a guess.

o

Looks like Cushaw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here