Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Withering Pumpkin Plants

Posted by sneed 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 15:56

Every year my pumpkin plants start OK and then get powdery mildew and then die. This year as soon as the powdery mildew began I started spraying them with a sulphur/water mix. It's not working. Why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Withering Pumpkin Plants

It is best to spray them before they get PM as a prevention. I have never used sulphur so I can't speak about it. I used potassium bicarbonate and water and now use raw milk and water. I was able to get my plants to keep producing and allow the pumpkins to finish growing last year when they got it. This year I have been spraying before hand. HTH!

o

But how do I save these plants now?

This post was edited by sneed on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:09

o

You can clip the worst leaves on your plants but leave some so the pumpkin fruit do not get scalded. Make sure to clean any clippers with rubbing alcohol after using on the pumpkins with PM so it doesn't spread. If there is a plant that is shot and there are some plants that are still growing, I would remove the dying one or at least the worst section of the plant. I would use the milk mixture, 10-20% milk rest water and soak them, top to bottom with a sprayer. I usually spray mine in the evening because I read that the plants are more receptive.

o

And even though I have 7 pumpkin plants, so far there are only 2 pumpkins, and it appears one has stopped growing.

o

I am sorry to heat that! I love growing cucurbits but I can't stand PM and nothing more irritating than having a beautiful green plant and come out to check on it, only to see a bunch of white spots on it :(. Hope you get it to come back! You're ahead of me in gardening zone so maybe you will have time to save it and get more pumpkins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here