Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
[Pic] Big Brother Is Watching! [Pic]

Posted by Handsome54 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 16:06

Lots of discussion here on the effectiveness of electric fences in attempting to deter wildlife from entering gardens......... Well, I have the rabbits in check, but as my corn starts to silk, I've just added another device that won't stop the coons, but it just might give me some insight into how they're able to penetrate a 7 strand (very hot) fence ........

When I get some actual pics of coons eating my sweetcorn, I'll post them!!!! LOL

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: [Pic] Big Brother Is Watching! [Pic]

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 16:25

lol! Keep us posted!

I was tempted to plant corn this year - but I'm not ready to fight off the racoons. The terrier is keeping squirrels and rabbit at bay by day - didn't want to chance luring something fiercer!

o

Will do t-bird! Next pics I post will prolly be of a 10' razor wire confinement around my garden, with several armed guards!!

o

Haha...good idea! Those darn racoons!!! I just saw in an ad paper the other day that a local hardware store was selling solar powered motion activated spotlights for around 20 bucks a piece. I wonder if that would be enough to scare the buggers long enough to get a decent harvest...

o

The tempation for a meal overrides all else. You can try all the deterring tactics you want, but when an animal like a raccoon finds a meal that it MUST have, it will stop at nothing. Lights will do nothing to stop them, except maybe spook them at first, but rest assured, that they'll muster up the guts to enter the light in one night.

Squirrels are they same. I had one that kept chasing the birds off our feeders and hanging there, eating all the sunflower seed. I'd grab the hose and spray it, and the squirrel would race to the top of the tree, trembling in fear. I'd go inside then, figuring he'd surely leave. Nope, he slowly ventures down the tree and hops right back on the feeder. The temptation of an easy meal was just too overpowering. Raccoons are far worse, and much smarter, so if you have them, I wish you the best of luck in your battles.

Joe

o

I LOVE my game camera, it was the unfortunate recipient of a lightning strike, burned a hole in the memory card. The second one is on its way.
I am looking into armed guards now. Good luck, and keep us posted!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here