Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloomin_onion

Eggplants wilting in full sun?

Bloomin_Onion
9 years ago

Hi all, I live in zone 3 (temps more around zone 2). The day I took this picture it was no more than 80 degrees outside. I found some eggplants on sale when they were just babies at a local nursery, and even though I heard they were picky, I just snagged some anyway. I stuck them in the ground, but due to my cukes and zukes getting too big, the poor little eggplant got shoved against a trellis so I potted him which they suggest anyway. So far, they're doing ok I guess, though I don't expect them to bear fruit just cuz they're not really big and it doesn't get super hot here on a consistent basis.
What's confusing me is the wilting in the sun. During the afternoon when he's in full sun, he just wilts and curls away. It's really amazing because in the morning and evening when the plant is looking healthy, the leaves are so firm you could almost "snap" them if you bent them to far. But an hour in the sun and they feel like onion paper until the sun goes back down again. It's left me scratching my head, water doesn't really help. Don't these guys like lots of sun?

I also have some eggplants in the ground in the veggie garden sharing a bed with some other things and he's doing fine even on the hottest days. Any thoughts? In Canada where I am, I dare not move him in the shade for fear that he just wouldn't get the warmth he needs. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)