Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rguntle_gw

Fall Vegetable Garden

rguntle
13 years ago

I have juast moved here to Augusta from Fort Lwis WA. I have never started a Vegetable garden before but, it looks like fun. I would like to start a fall garden with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and peas. I am not sure what I am doing. do I sow the seeds in the garden out side or do I start them in the house? What is the best way to start them in the house? Please help

Comments (8)

• hoodat
    13 years ago

Your problem in starting them in the ground in that area may be heat. Have plenty of mulch on the ground to keep it cool and moist and then work a hole in the mulch where they will be seeded. Keep an eye on them for insects. There are still plenty of them around this time of year.

• caroliniannjer
    13 years ago

I'm new in Columbia SC--a very similar situation

I just sewed seeds for broccoli, brussels sprouts, collard greens & some more bush beans
    Between now & mid-August (according to the timetables on the Clemson extension site) is when we're supposed to be setting out *plants* ...so we'll see how that turns out

I've had no problems starting crops in the heat, but we've been seeing blossom drop, end rot & other fruiting problems once the temps get up near 100

I think that it's way too early for peas, but beans have been working for me

You should see if you can find an extension site for your area like the Clemson site I've given below

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson--Vegetable Crops

• twc015
    13 years ago

You should be able to direct sow broccoli and cauliflower in the ground. These can tolerate the high soil temperature during germination.

I would wait on the carrots and peas, especially peas. Peas need the cool weather. Carrots may have germination problems, but the foliage can tolerate the high temperatures well.

If you want to start plants inside the house, you need fluorescent shop lights for the best results. I like the T8 fixtures wal-mart sells because they have a good light spread. Be sure to keep the lights very close to the plants - nearly touching the tallest leaf. You also have to harden off the plants before setting them out if you start them inside. You can use any potting mix.

If you are growing just a few plants, I would just direct seed them; it will be easier.

• coralb
    13 years ago

I think you should direct sow your carrots and peas. I am in NC and it is too hot here to start fall crops outside yet. I will be starting my broc, cilantro, bok choy, and lettuce inside next week.

• susancol
    13 years ago

Farmerdilla, who is one of the more experienced Garden Web folks, and actually has a farm in Augusta, recommended to me once that for english peas, he direct sows them in fall - like October time frame. They then sprout and grow into small plants, and overwinter that way. (The leaves are very cold tolerant, but the flowers and pods are not). Then in the early early spring, those peas will take off growing and provide a Spring crop. So that's what I'm planning for this year.

You may be a little late for direct sowing Broccoli and Cauliflower. Are transplants available in your area? They may be a better bet. And since you're right on the SC border, the Clemson extension link above is probably the best one you will find to match your area. Just use the recommendations for the area of SC that you border.

Best of luck in your new home. You should be able to grow just about anything here in Georgia.

Susan

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

Right now the temperatures are hovering near 100F here in this part of GA. I cannot see how fall crops can tolerate this weather. The dillema is that when you start them too late you are not going to be able to harvest a decent fall crop. That is why I am goiung take a break away from fall crops and travel instead. lol

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

In Augusta ( Richmond County) I can set Broccoli and Cauliflower as October 15. I start plants outside in July. Shady spot with only dimpled morning sun. Not even a turnip will germinate here in the open until late August. For best results I like to get Broccoli cabbage and cauliflower set just past Labor Day. The October transplant of broccoli and cauliflower usually do Ok, but often don't head until January. I like them around Thanksgiving, which is also when I plant English peas. I start and set collards on the same schedule as broccoli and cauliflower, shooting maximum harvest for New Years. Every one has to have Collards for New years. Turnips, mustard, kale, rutabagas, I direct sow the last week of August and then at about three week intervals until October 15. I am growing Pak Choi this year on the same scheduled as the other transplanted brassicas. I don't recommend direct seeding of Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli or any of the large brassicas which require spacing of more than 15 inches.

• caroliniannjer
    13 years ago

That's great info Farmerdilla, thank you!