Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

what does the soil depth have to be to grow root vegetables?

I plan to grow some root vegetables. The ones I will end up growing are turnips, white radishes (these are known as icicle radishes, at least that's what I've always seen them referred to on the seed packet), and carrots. The white radish is much larger than your typical red radish; regarding the length of the white radish, it resembles a carrot. Since it's bigger than a red radish would I have to make the soil depth deeper than you would make the soil depth for a regular red radish?

As a general rule of thumb what does the minimum depth of the soil have to be to grow any kind of root vegetable?

What is the recommended soil depth for growing root vegetables? I know some veggies have shallow roots, so as a result the soil depth doesn't have to be as deep as it

would be if you were planting root vegetables.

Last but not least what does the minimum soil depth have to be for the root vegetables I plan to grow? What is the recommended soil depth for the root vegetables I plan to grow. Just to recap and clarify, the root vegetables I plan to grow are carrots, white radishes (also known as icicle radishes), and turnips.

Comments (5)