Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittikity

cinder block veggies

kittikity
12 years ago

What do yall think about using the holes in cinder blocks for planting veggies? Do you think there would be enough room for one plant per hole?

Comments (16)

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

Johnhughes does it all the time :)

• michelelc
    12 years ago

Look on the post a couple above yours "need some help with onion harvest". There are pics of the exact thing you are interested in :)

• glib
    12 years ago

The take home message from Jon's pictures is "veggies as big as an onion or smaller". In fact, veggies that like it on the alkaline side will appreciate being surrounded by lime. Arugula, lettuce, garlic shoots, beets, all do well there.

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Yeah..i'm using JH idea for next year. Already converted 2 sides of my large garden bed to cinder blocks.

• kittikity
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, that's awesome.. My main concern was the size of the holes of the blocks.. But obviously it works..

Speaking of onions, anybody know of a good sweet onion or an onion like veggie? I don't really care for onions but my husband does so I wanted something that could be sort of a compromise..

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Walla Walla Onions are like biting into an apple, sooooo tasty

{{gwi:90898}}

{{gwi:77753}}

{{gwi:79183}}

{{gwi:31563}}

{{gwi:90900}}

{{gwi:23523}}

{{gwi:23511}}

{{gwi:23508}}

• kittikity
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful veggie beds.. I am so jealous.. Right now all I have is some zucchini, peas, tomatoes and a single chard plant in a couple of buckets.. I started laying out my brings in rows but only had enough soil for 2 bricks..

• bouquet_kansas
    12 years ago

Jon.......your garden pics are so gorgeous!
    do you fertilize your plants thru the drip lines as they get watered?

carol

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

No,
    I don't use any fertilizer, everyone says I should though, maybe I will fertilize a bed and see if it helps. But I do make my own compost and it is a beautiful thang ;-)

{{gwi:15885}}

{{gwi:58576}}

{{gwi:78302}}

{{gwi:15175}}

{{gwi:90901}}

{{gwi:90902}}

{{gwi:90903}}

{{gwi:90905}}

{{gwi:30778}}

{{gwi:30780}}

• kittikity
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think you need to fertilize at all.. You are already getting great results!

• glib
    12 years ago

The incredible thing, Jon, is: that compost of of yours is basically pure dried leaves. And yet you clearly have enough nitrogen for cabbage.

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Hi Glib,
    It is actually optimum composting ingredients,I add all the plants (foliage) that comes out of the garden,I make compost in about a month...

• glib
    12 years ago

Yes, but I am mentioning all of this because we had a discussion in another thread where people mentioned that compost alone is often not enough (and therefore add urea). I myself add urea. Yes, you add foliage, but that green material came itself from the garden. Basically, 100% of the nitrogen in your nitrogen cycle comes from bacteria eating ground leaves in your soil.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Ha Ha, JonHughs, I really like that last compost picture. Composters DREAM photo!!
    You have a little backhoe!?!

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Yeah, The excavator saves my back... kind of ;-)
    Which means: it would save my back if I was going to turn it by hand, I wouldn't.... it is way too labor intensive and I am just wayyyyy too lazy to work that hard... but with the excavator... life is good ;-)

• nicktarabay11
    12 years ago

@jonhughes I was looking for the same info on how to plant veggies with a cinder block, glad I found this post, I do not own an excavator, so will be renting one from the local equipment rental and lets see how that works out.