Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Orange Patty Pan?

scarletdaisies
12 years ago

I grew white patty pan last year, have yellow this year so far, although my garden is way behind and have several squash just now producing male blooms, so maybe will have white too.

The flavor of the yellow surpass white, but I would like an orangish yellow patty pan, I've read of something called Patterson Orange Patty Pan, is it really orange? I've seen pictures, a few, and they look yellow.

Probably the yellow will turn to orange if I let is sit too long on the vine, but I'm looking for young patty pan squash varieties that are orangish if anyone knows any varieties, please let me know.

I can't say they are squash vine resistant like some say, they are alive and kicking at the moment with no signs accept squash bugs that I kill as soon as I see. I can say they are much more weather resistant, if you had problems sprouting any this season, expect more dreary rainy seasons, for squash try the yellow patty pan.

If anyone knows of a website with all kinds of varieties, espially oranish/yellow, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments (4)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Sorry I never encountered an orange patty pan. They do come in white, varying shades of yellow, many shades of green varying from very pale to black in appearance and multi-colors.
    {{gwi:90919}} {{gwi:90921}} {{gwi:86396}} {{gwi:90923}} {{gwi:90925}}

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found two, Gelber Englischer Custard Squash and Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop. The Gelber variety is hard to find seeds for on the internet.

They say there are orange varieties, but the dark yellow/orange is as close as I need to get. The yellow has a nice flavor, but just short of crooked neck, maybe by the color. I can say these are resilient plants and my yellow, as slow and set back as it was by the dark rainy days this year, is huge compared to the rest. It was the first to sprout under bad conditions. It even tastes good. The white vareity is sweeter, but flavorless.

I'm happy with what I have, but know there are other varieties of the same. I'm willing to bet there is an orange one out there. Thanks for the pictures and the reply!

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Baker Creek has the Gelber Englischer Custard Squash. Photo shows orange but the description says lemon yellow. I have not grown it. Patisson Golden Marbre looks like the old Yellow Bush scallop sold for over a century in the US as an alternative to the White Bush scallop. It is about the same shade of yellow as Sunburst, but with out the green blossom scar. Also forms flesh and can double as a winter squash.

• lonainevitable
    6 years ago

Hi, are you still following this thread?

I found this thread while researching what was up with a pattypan I'm growing that's orange! I planted sunburst and juane et vert but paid little attention to which was which and I got this mystery squash. I'm letting it grow big so I can harvest and replant the seeds next season (which is why it isn't as shiny as it used to be, especially next to my sunburst), as it's delicious! I don't know if next years plant will be true to this one, but if you'd like some seeds (if the squash borers don't kill it before it matures) I'd be happy to send some along.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x