Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic :)

Posted by art_1 10 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 16:28

This is from 10 cloves that I planted last spring. Since I didn't plant in the fall they made many smaller bulbs rather than 10 larger ones. I may try a fall planting this time :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic :)

Nice art 1! Garlic is on my fall radar. I've never planted it before....

o

Do folks in zone 4b/5a also plant in the fall?

o

I plant my garlic in the fall, mid October. This year's weather has been particularly kind to the entire Allium family here in Vermont. Onions and garlic did beautifully as they often do but, oh my, the shallots are extraordinarily large.

o

Each clove would produce 1 plant. Judging from the picture, you look to have a lot more than 10 plants. Might you have planted the cloves from 10 heads?

Nice harvest. You could replant this fall and have a fantastic harvest next summer.

o

Yep -- everyone should plant in the fall. Garlic needs some colder weather to develop fully. And if you plant hardneck, you'll see a scape shoot up sometime in spring or early summer -- be sure to clip this in order to get a bigger head (and they're delicious raw or cooked, too.)

My harvest is now on screens in the shed -- 254 total, not counting the ones that are growing with the squash to keep the squash bugs away. I always give a lot away, but I've also heard that the local pizzeria will trade pizza for organic garlic -- might give that a try.

I was just this morning thinking of taking a picture of it -- looks a lot like yours, only denser, and a couple screens Maybe I'll just use your picture instead :) I like the double entendre: Garlic Art.

o

I could hang it on the wall with the screen as a frame. Might be a little too fragrant though.

Yes this was from 10 cloves. I planted them last spring and they did not produce scapes or die back last year, so I let them go. Early this spring, they had a second growth, produced scapes which I cut and used, and then started to die back. There was a small handful of plants where I planted each clove.

o

Interesting that you got multiple garlic clusters from one clove. I've never gotten more than one.

I plant mine in mid to end September in Zone 5 and each clove about 3-4 inches apart. They usually sprout before freezing weather. Since we have had so much hot dry weather, my scapes dried up earlier than usual so my clusters were smaller than usual this year. Very fresh, though...and fragrant aroma of garlic. Drying in garage was I write.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here