Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about pollinating zucchini

Posted by kpev7hard 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 16:34

I live in Baltimore City, Maryland. I have a very small plot of space to grow veggies, usually I only have room for one zucchini plant each year. My problem is that I must stink at growing zucchini. Everyone else is overloaded with them, but I barely get one every few weeks! This happens to me every year. I've tried varieties that are supposed to be prolific, yet still nothing. This year I am growing Black Beauty.

I get lots of flowers and little guys on there, then they die off, and I read that has to do with pollination. So I set out to pollinate them myself. I read that morning, before 10am, is the best time and I've been out every morning to try and pollinate. But none of the female flowers are ever open! I have 3-4 small zucchinis (1-3" long) out there right now with flowers that have yet to open. At least I've never seen them open, they don't look dead, they look like they're still going to open.

Do the flowers on zucchini fruits not open for a while?
Am I going about this the wrong way?

For that matter, I am having the same trouble with my cantaloupes. Tons of flowers, and I see the female flowers on the stem with their little ovaries, but the flowers never open and the ovaries shrivel up and die off.

Please help!

-Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about pollinating zucchini

I would try earlier, 8am or as soon as you can get out there. Since it's been so hot, the flowers may close earlier in the day.

It also helps if you have some flowers planted around the veggie garden to attract bees and other pollinators so you don't have to do it all yourself.

o

or maybe there not ready to open. mine close around 10am. try earlier.

o

Agree much earlier in the AM. As early as possible, 6 am. They are only open early and for a short time.

Dave

o

Thanks, everyone. I have checked as early as 5:45am before I get ready for work, still no females open, but I'll keep checking!

I have thought about putting some flowering annuals in the garden near them to encourage pollinators, but I didn't think I had room. Maybe it's time to MAKE some room!

o

I did a little more googling and read that when the weather gets too hot sometimes that can cause the female flowers to not open. Mine are still a bit greenish so they seem immature yet, but closed up tight. Some gardeners will pull back one of the female petals and pollinate anyway. I might test this. Our weather has been 90-100 for days so I'm sure that can't help. The heat is supposed to break tonight so maybe I'll get some open flowers tomorrow!

o

I'm going to do the same thing. I have seen bees in my garden but yesterday, I noticed the flowers were all closed up and some had already dropped off. I thought to be safe, I'll hand pollinate. Only problem, I can't get there first thing in the morning (my garden is not in my own yard). Is it ok if I do it in the evening? Can I just open the flower and pollinate if it's closed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here