Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

My cucumbers growing (pics)

newyorkrita
11 years ago

{{gwi:91291}}

I have SALAD BUSH CUCUMBERS growing in this planted bowl. You can't see but it has lots of cukes.

The rest of my cucumbers are growing on two trellis set up on my backyard in the middle of the main path that runs thru my daylily garden.

{{gwi:91292}}

{{gwi:91293}}

{{gwi:91296}}

Goes to show you that you can always squeeeze some veggies in if you want them in your garden. I have BURPLESS, STRAIGHT EIGHT, MARKETMORE, PALACE KING, CHINA LONG and ARMENIAN Cucumbers planted along there.

Comments (40)

• lizbeth_pa
    11 years ago

Wow! Looks great and it looks like you like a lot of cukes! You must do a lot of pickling! I like the kind you have int the container. i might try that next yr! Doing the trellises is the best way to go w/ the cukes, imo!

• albertar
    11 years ago

looking good Rita, :)

Alberta

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lisbeth, I always grow them up on a trellis to keep them off the ground. You can grow lots more this way and it keeps the cukes away from the slugs.

I have so many as I am trying the chinese cucumbers for the first time this year but still wanted to grow my old favorites, just in case. But I will have lots to share with neighbors and friends.

Alberta, thanks. Those cukes vines have really taken off this year.

{{gwi:91299}}
    The chinese cucumbers have set fruit but it is still small. Supposed to stay skinny but get nice and long. Funny looking things!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just went outside and really quick cut back and pulled up my Armenian Cucumber vines. No fruit set yet and there were not many of this type so it was easy. I noticed a few days ago a leaf on them with mildew. Today noticed more leaves with the mildew spots and very noticable. So out they came. I don't want to deal with mildew and I don't want my other cukes to come down with it.

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

I wish my cucumbers did half as well as yours, but they were total failures.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picked cucumbers today.

{{gwi:91301}}

{{gwi:91302}}

{{gwi:91303}}

{{gwi:91304}}

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I am going to grow cucumber in pots next year. I have lots of garden land but all my cucumber died because some thing killing the stem at the soil level I tried every thing and nothing worked. By growing it in pots I can control which soil I use. I a frustrated.

• chaman
    11 years ago

Very nice pics.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picking lots of cucumbers. I have Burpless, Marketmore, Straight Eight, Palace King and one China Long Cucumbers there.

{{gwi:91305}}

{{gwi:91306}}

{{gwi:91307}}

{{gwi:60505}}

• soilent_green
    11 years ago

Very nice. Congrats on your success. If you could offer some opinions on your cucumber varieties regarding production, flavor, etc. I would appreciate it. Which variety is your favorite?

-Tom

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have grown the Burpless for years and just love them. They grow big and long (you can see them 18 inches in the pictures) but stay nice and tender. The Straight Eight are new for me this year. Really great cucumbers. Look great, taste great. Marketmores an old variety that I don't know why I planted this year. They are ok, but not exciting. And not in the pictures, I also planted SALAD BUSH (in a pot) which I like because the vines stay small but put out lots of nice size and taste cutcumbers. Just don't plant the Salad Bush with the others as those other vines would swallow them. I plan to have Salad Bush, Straight Eight and my favorite Burpless all back next year.

I also tried the asian China Long and Palace King Cucumbers this year. Can't stand the CHINA LONGs as I can't stand to look at the ugly things what with that bumpy skin and lots of spines. Honestly, if I peel and cut them up, I can't tell them apart from my others so it is just a visual thing. But they will not be back next year.

Palace Kings make really nice looking and tasting cukes. Probably be back.

Palace King in first picture. 2nd picture Burpless. Third picture Straight Eight on top, Marketmore on bottom. Last picture the Burpless with a China Long.

• azzure08(zone8a)
    11 years ago

my plant is just getting around to growing female flower and I need to hand pollinate for lack of bees I think I just have one dedicated bee lol.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have lots of bees. Honeybees and bumble bees both like the cucumber flowers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:91308}}
    Todays cucumber harvest! The odd looking one at the bottom is one of the CHINA LONG Cucumbers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cucumbers I picked yesterday. That longest one is over 20 inches!
    {{gwi:91310}}

{{gwi:91312}}

These China Long type of the chinese cucumbers I picked today.
    {{gwi:91314}}

• ltilton
    11 years ago

It's been a terrible year for mildews. Your vines look very healthy.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I agree, terrible year for mildew, even my supposedly-resistant Little Leaf has it now :( but last year when it was so wet they didn't (?)!

Are Chinese longs resistant? How do the plants look?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The vines all looked great way back when but no longer. The chineses cukes got the mildew the worst and really, really look bad but the cucumbers are still coming.

My regular cukes don't have as much mildew but there is some when most years there is none. But lots of rain this year for sure. But they keep pumping out the cucumbers.

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

CUCUMBERS: Salad, Straight Eight, Sweet Burpless, Sweet Slice, Sweter Yet, Tasty Jade.

{{gwi:91315}}

{{gwi:91316}}

{{gwi:91317}}

{{gwi:91318}}

{{gwi:91319}}

{{gwi:91320}}

{{gwi:91321}}

{{gwi:91322}}

{{gwi:91323}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's an interesting way that you trellis them to keep slightly off ground. Me I do it the vertical way. Easier to pick.

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

The cucumbers area is in the front of my house and I didn,t want problems with the village by placing the trellis vertically. But I,m sure, cucumbers can grow on vertical trellis too.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yes, they do climb really well.

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

any problem with a HEAVY 15 in. cuke?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do get lots of big ones. No problem as long as you have strong netting. Much of the trellis netting is too flimsey and only good for things like beans.

• lizbeth_pa
    11 years ago

Are you still getting a lot of nice big ones there? Yours looked so great! Mine were pretty good til about toward the end of July, they either got the PM or got the cuke beetle! Anyway, I got pretty many before they started dying off. Next yr, I plan to start a new crop midway thru the summer so that I can keep them coming! I learn new things every yr and each yr has it's own challenges w/ the weather. Last yr, too wet here, this yr, too hot and too warm early in the spring and summer! Then we had the mini drought period. But we are above avg for rainfall in this area now so we're ok in that regard!
    I love everyone's trellises here and will build better ones for next yr!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If your asking me, yes mine are still producing well. Looking ratty but still pumping out those cucumbers.

Picture of the last batch I picked which were from my China Long Cucumbers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I can see that the cucumber vines are really coming near to the end of production. I was able to get a nice harvest again today (and I have been picking steadily) and there are still more coming to pick. But after those I don't know if there will be any more as the vines are really ragged looking by now. Can't complain, it was a great year.

At least I got my cucumbers picked and then was picking some tomatoes when it started to rain. Had to hussle and get myself and my veggies inside.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Latest Cucumbers.

{{gwi:91324}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:91325}}

This is just about the end of them. I will be pulling out the vines this week.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was going to pull up the cucumber vines today but much to my surprise not only did I find still find cucumbers to pick but there are still more comming. So the vines stay for a while still. They sure do look ratty.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cucumbers lasteed longer thus year than I ever thought they would but I finially pulled them out yesterday. I had picked cucumbers Saturday and figgured that was the end of them so decided to pull them out Sunday. So I did. Pulled them out by the roots. But much to my surprise I found plenty of cucumbers on them to pick as I was cutting down the vines. So I have some cucumbers to eat up.

• perezjuanf
    11 years ago

I have been able to grow 3 cucumbers plants in a box and the first two fruits are grown with other showing, how can I know that it is time to cut the fruits? How long does cucumbers vines continuo producing?

• livelydirt
    11 years ago

Perez... Wow, Zn 10a, Do you ever get killing frost? Leave the vines in until they die or quit setting fruit. You might want to consider succession planting in your climate so you have more active fruit production.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

• qibu
    11 years ago

pls help all my cucumbers are getting these white spots and then getting rot what causes it?? pls help..also the leaves in the lowerpart of the plant is totally yellow..and some leaves are getting yellow lines as if an earthworm is on it...

• qibu
    11 years ago

see the leaves..i am a new gardner..

• livelydirt
    11 years ago

The little lines looks like Leaf Miner damage.Unless you get a lot of them, they probably won't hurt your harvest. The yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant normally indicates low nitrogen. Try adding Blood Meal or Alfalfa Meal or compost/manure tea. The white patches seem to be some type of blight that I can't help you with. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

• qibu
    11 years ago

thanx for the reply.....but where can I get these thing u have mentioned (new gardener)...what do u mean by compost manure tea??and blood meal and alfalfa meal I stay in UAE do we get these out here?/..anyways I will check out...I got these seeds from ACE...

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

I would ask about the blood meal or alfalfa meal at ACE. You can google compost or manure tea and find different recipes for making it.

• livelydirt
    11 years ago

Enter Compost Tea in the search box at the top of this page. Make sure it is searching GardenWeb.... lots of articles.

• qibu
    11 years ago

thanks..but what abt the white patch doesn't anyone know what to do for that...even the smallest cucumbers getting it and also turning yellow when small...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths