Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon leaves turning yellow

Posted by fritz_monroe 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 16:49

I have some small varieties of watermelon growning in big containers. One variety is has all the leaves turning yellow. I planted these in Miracle Grow potting mix. Can anyone suggest a reason that this could be happening? Am I missing any certain nutrient?

If it matters, the variety that is doing well is Cream of Saskatchewan. The one that is not doing well is Golden Midget. They are planted in 2 identical 18 gallon containers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon leaves turning yellow

Golden Midget like most of the yellow (pumpkin rind) melons has a tendency for the yellowing to extend to the vines. Yellow vines and some yellowing of the leaves is normal.

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 22:17

Thanks for the info Farmerdilla! My Golden Midget looked very yellow the other day and I gave it a blast of organic fertilizer to help it along. Good to know that the yellow was normal for this variety, and I'm sure the fertilizer didn't hurt.

o

When first posting, I was also concerned that there was a single melon growing. Every time a female flower would be ready to open, the fruit would turn yellow and the flower would die.

Looks like it wasn't an issue. I now have about 5 or 6 little melons started on the vines.

Thanks for the info, I won't worry about the leaves turning yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here