Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Corn Ears

Posted by davemw (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 16:56

My corn tastes great and kernels are fully formed but the ears are tiny. When harvested the ear is 12" long from base to silk. When the husk is removed the ear itself is about 6" and only about 4" of the cob has perfectly formed full size kernels. This is my 2nd year at growing corn and I am adjusting the soil per County extension recomendations based on soil samples but what else might I be looking for as a reason for these tasty yet tiny ears? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Corn Ears

I have heard that potassium helps to fill out the ear to the tip.

Other possibilities are variety, moisture, sunshine hours, full polination [though usually this results in missing grains throughout], and nitrogen. Spindly stalks usually have shortened ears like you are talking about.

o

Small short ears are usually lack of water or nitrogen. To get a big ear you need a big stalk, nearly one inch diameter at the base, and large green leaves. This takes lots of sun, fertile soil, and plenty of water.

I'd bet the plants were small or water stressed. Wayne is right in that poor pollination usually results in scattered kernels on the cob. Water, fertility or some other stress gives a short ear.

o

Concur, except that no one has mentioned cultivar. If your cultivar is supposed to have large ears, then you have stressed the plant. Crowding is the condition that I see most often with new growers. Lack of ferility and water can also be causes. Most new growers overdo these two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here