Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ihaveablackthumb

Tomato and cucumber plants dying

ihaveablackthumb
10 years ago

Hello, new member here - pretty new to vegetable gardening too. I was given two mature plants, one a cherry tomato and the other a cucumber plant. Both were already in pots and doing pretty well. They've been inside plants because I live in an apartment with no balcony. So I've been watering them (fairly often since it's been so hot here lately) but they're not doing so well. I don't think it's just the heat. The tomato plant was doing pretty well and even gave me some tomatoes until about 2 weeks ago when the leaves got all crunchy and fell off, and now the stem is wilting. I gave it more water but it's still pretty pathetic now - am I overwatering it? I thought the leaves would turn yellow if that happened but they didn't. They did turn brown in parts though. I thought maybe it was getting burned from too much sun so I moved it back a bit, but that didn't fix anything either.

I'm pretty sure I did overwater the cucumber plant because the leaves did turn yellow, so once I saw that I held off on the water for a while, but it pretty much just shriveled up and died after that. The stem got hollow which was weird. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong? Should I stick to getting vegetables from the supermarket? :)

Comments (3)