Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glycera

Mirai corn?

glycera
13 years ago

At the risk of exposing myself to angry rebuttals, I'm posting to say that I was totally unimpressed by my first taste of Mirai corn today. My standard has been Silver Queen, which has always trumped the sugary enhanced and supersweet varieties I've trialed against it, so that's all I've grown for years and years. But this season I was so beguiled by the catalog descriptions and the media hype about Mirai, I decided to try it (131Y, from Parks). It germinated and grew well, I fertilized it well (I use lawn fertilizer on corn, which is just an overgrown grass), and watered as necessary. So I feel I've given it every chance to show me what it can do.The stalks aren't very tall (5-6 feet) but look healthy and are bearing 2-3 ears each. Today I picked several ears at slightly different levels of maturity to try, and found all of them very tender. The older ears had a bit more flavor, but in general I thought they were watery, sweetish, and surprisingly lacking in corn flavor. This is hard to reconcile with the rave reviews I've read, and wonder if anyone else out there has had a similar experience?

---Margaret

Comments (33)

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

While I have not grown Mirai, I have grown several supersweets and synergistics and concluded that I will never willingly grow or eat them again. Mirai has a combination of the SU, SE, and SH2 genes. No matter how they dress it up, this always results in a corn that is too sweet and lacking in flavor. I grow and prefer either an SU like Luther Hill or Whipple White, an SE like Breeders Choice, or an SU/SE hybrid for which I grow my own hybrid seed and then grow the corn to eat.

DarJones

• nc_crn
    13 years ago

Miari is like eatting pre-steamed corn to me. It's soft and sugary. I like that "snap" in my corn and I find a lot of people I do, too...you're not gonna get that with Mirari it seems.

Some people like that "fall off the cob" bite of corn. I prefer exploding kernels of sweet/corn crispness.

• rnewste
    13 years ago

I have just planted seed for my second crop of the Season, and am using Mirai 308 from Harris Seed. Package indicates Mirai needs very warm soil temperature above 75 degrees. I picked this variety because it has an under 80 day DTM.

My first crop of this Season was Gurney's Gotta-have-it bi-color. I'll be interested to see how they compare. Gurney's fully developed into full, tasty ears:

{{gwi:1261}}

I've tried Northern, Honey and Pearl, and many others, but Gotta-have-it has proven out to be my favorite. Mirai 308 will really have to impress.

Raybo

• hoodat
    13 years ago

Raybo, nice way to grow a lot of corn in a small space. They seem to be doing very well. How often do you need to fertilize in those planters?

• rnewste
    13 years ago

hoodat,

After adding in 2 Cups of 14-14-14 CRF about 8 inches deep when initially putting in the seedlings, I fertilize only once more, when the stalks reach about 2 ft tall, with Gurney's water soluble Sweetcorn Fertilizer. That's it for the Season. As there are no weeds or water run-off, all of the fertilizer is concentrated to the corn plants 100%.

Raybo

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

My curiousity is wanting to see what 2 or 3 ears on one stalk look like unshucked before the camera. I shoot for one nice ear per stalk and when there appear to be 2 ears, usually the second is a dud when shucked down.

For my part I love that flavor and texture of Incredible yellow.

• rnewste
    13 years ago

Wayne,

Does this satisfy your curiosity?

{{gwi:44562}}

About 25% of the stalks have 2 ears per. I hear some people talking about getting 3 ears per stalk, but I have never personally experienced that.

{{gwi:44560}}

Raybo

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Margaret -- I completely agree. I grew it in 2008 hoping for a really extraordinary corn, based upon the hype I'd read on the internet about it (people paying $10 a dozen at farmers markets, Japanese consumers lining up for hours to buy it, that sort of thing). I was pretty underwhelmed. It seemed similar to most of the other syngeristic corns out there, and all in on a par with a lot of the SE's and some Sh2's. Frankly, my gold standard of corn for years was good old Illini Xtra Sweet, then about 10 years ago Burpee came out with Sun and Stars hybrid, which I think is even better than Illini, so that is my new and current standard. Mirai isn't as good as Sun and Stars, IMO, by far, and also on the three different Mirai strains I tried, all from Parks, the yellow, bicolor, and white, the ears were on the small/short side. I did grow some again last year only because I had leftover seed, and I felt the same way about it as I did in 2008.

13 years ago

newste,

No, I still have not seen 2 let alone 3 alpha ears together on one stalk. I see a second ear that looks about ½ size.

• rnewste
    13 years ago

wayne,

Dang it man, why can't you just trust me??

OK, here is a photo I just took clearly showing two ears on a single stalk of Gurney's Gotta-Have-It sweet corn:

{{gwi:91691}}

Here are those same ears, still on the stalk peeled back:

{{gwi:1262}}

And a final photo documenting that they are about as equal as you will ever get:

{{gwi:91692}}

So, after all this work you've just caused me....a pot of water is boiling on the stove, as I will enjoy both ears for lunch right now!!!

Raybo

13 years ago

Raybo,

Thanks for your trouble. You did produce some. Now I guess I have to critique the grain size....looks too large for my taste. I prefer smaller grain types like incredible.....

• rnewste
    13 years ago

wayne,

No trouble at all! Actually, the 2 ears of corn tasted better than a trip to Taco Bell. Probably a lot healthier! I like the larger kernel size, as it has some "teeth". The Mirai 308 grow-out will be interesting as this variety is easier to bite off.

Raybo

• sportsman1
    13 years ago

Everyone has their own tastes.I've tried a lot of SU varieties and they lack sweetness.....My family won't touch them.They ask...."when does the good stuff start."Even my 5 yr. old grandson says he only wants the "Good Stuff."

We have also tried many of the SE's.And what the industry says is tender.....they won't eat because it is mushy.

We basically only eat the SH2's.Now we have moved onto the augmented SH2's.

I just finished eating 2 weeks worth of Northern Supersweet.Mirai 131Y is up next in a couple days.Then 2 weeks till our favorite....Tendersweet 277A.The best eating corn I've ever tasted.A week later Optimum.

I started Northern Supersweet and Mirai in 36 six pacs 3 weeks before planting out the end of May.That gives me the earliest corn in the area.

• rnewste
    13 years ago

sportsman1,

I think you meant Xtra-Tender 277A. Right?

Just happened to notice in the box of vegetable seeds I recently ordered, that I had purchased a pack of Xtra-Tender 270A sh2 that claims a 71 day DTM. Are you familiar with this variety and how it would compare to the 277A variety that you recommend. I'm thinking of now planting this 270A instead of Mirai.

Raybo

• dancinglemons
    13 years ago

Margaret,
    I grew Mirai 131Y from Park Seed Co. in 2009 and although it grew well enough and produced 2 ears per stalk - I did not like the flavor or the texture.

Raybo,
    Corn looks fantastic!!

DL

• sportsman1
    13 years ago

rnewste,
    Yeah I meant Xtra-Tender 277A.To me this one has the best texture,sweetness and corn flavor.

I've also tried 270A.Both are bi-colors as evidenced by the first number.All that start with a 1 are yellow,all with a 2 are bi-colors,and all with a 3 are white.

I thought 277 was better.But 270 was good also.One big thing for me was that 277 mostly has 2 ears per stalk,whereas 270 only has 1.

Most of the early corns like 270A have 12-14 rows of large kernels.Whereas 277A has a 2 inch thick cob with 18-20 kernels.One bite and I was in corn eating heaven

• rnewste
    13 years ago

Thanks Sportsman,

I searched Harris Seed and another place where I get corn seed and they are all out of 227A. I went ahead and planted 45 of the Xtra-Tender 270A seeds today in my 3 EarthTainers, so I'll see how they do later in October. Interesting comment you made about 1 stalk on the 270A, versus 2 stalks on the 277A. None of the sales literature mentions that fact.

I will order some of the Xtra-Tender 277A later this year for Spring planting 2011. I always learn a lot from member postings on this Forum.

Raybo

• ricjo22
    13 years ago

raybo this growing corn in tubs looks very promising. can you tell me more. is it your idea. are there links or keywords i can google on this . another great idea picked up on the garden web. i think i'll start a notebook. a compilation of all the new concepts i've discovered since i joined (only a few months ago). thanks ric

• rnewste
    13 years ago

Ric,

Go to my website: http://www.earthtainer.org

Lots of pictures and theory of operation. Just click on the different TABS at the top of the first page.

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer site

• chasemi1_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Last season we planted 11 kinds of corn (se, sh2, synergistic, and Mirai) in 3 isolated locations (se and se/sh2 synergistic in same location). We had a great corn year weatherwise and had excellent crops with all 11 varieties. We liked all of the them. My wife and I preferred both Mirai's (131Y and 308BC) over all the others. In second place was Polka Bicolor (a se/sh2 synergistic). All the others were ok (very good in fact) but not as good in our estimation as the Mirai's. The others were Ambrosia, Bodacious, Double Delicious, String Treat. Xtra Tender 277A, Xtra Sweet 4427, Early Xtra Sweet,and That's Delicious.

We are through with our experimenting and plan to do only Polka Bicolor and Mirai this year.

Question 1: I know that you can plant se and se/sh2 syneristics near one another. Do I need to separate the Polka (a se/sh2 synergistic) from the Mirai (su/se/sh2)?

Question 2: Mirai fans -- Is there another Mirai that you like as well or better than the 131Y (yellow) and the 308BC (also yellow)?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Mike: I grew the 301 BC for two years with 7-9 plantings each year. Had corn to eat from June to Nov. I think it's pretty good and I love how it stores at least 10 days in the frige. That said I am switching to AXC 7905 from Harris. It's an augmented supersweet with more rust resistance than the Mirai 301. I was getting a lot of leaf rust on Mirai planted late in the season, July and early August planting.

• jstall
    9 years ago

I have grown Marai corn for three years in a row and I am very satisfied with this corn. My normal corn to grow is G Funk 90. The Marai made the most incredible canned cream corn I have ever canned. It held up in the freeze very well.

9 years ago

I finally grew a Mirai bi-color...was not impressed with the taste as a fresh eating corn.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I also grew the bicolor and white Mirai last year. Although the corn is supersweet, it definitely lacks taste and flavor as the posts before commented. The sweetness is cloying rather than pleasant. Will not grow these ever again.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised about all the negative comments on Mirai corn, Last year I tried Bicolor Mirai 301BC Corn Seeds from Park Seeds and everyone loved it and asked me were I bought it, I will be growing it again.

• Mandy Mckinzie
    8 years ago

I'm amazed, too. I only grew Mirai once (family and health problems have prevented gardening the last 3 years) but I loved it. I thought it had plenty of flavor, though it was a bit different the corn that I usually had. Yes, it is sweet (I had to fight bugs and everything else off it; apparently they loved it, too) but it was nice and crunchy (be careful and don't cook it much; it gets done very fast and then starts to lose crunch) and totally delicious. I grew mine in Earth boxes to help fight off weeds. With the required amount of fertilizer, it did great. I definitely plan to grow it again.

• User
    8 years ago

I can fortunately buy mirai every summer, and wish I had somewhere to grow it. On the whole, I don't mind paying per ear one bit, because I love it so much.

It's been my experience that mirai is dependably good, whereas other producers' corn is hit and miss.

• spartanapples
    8 years ago

So many choices on sweet corn! I will stick to my tried and true 'Jubilee'. I was surprised the seed company had a warning in their catalog: "Warning: this is regular old fashioned sweet corn. Perhaps try sparingly at first to see you like the taste of regular sweet corn as this is not a sugar enhanced hybrid."

It makes me feel awfully old as most of my life I ate regular sweet corn until all these SH2, SU stuff came along. Not complaining but I like the taste of regular sweet corn too and hope it does not disappear like seeded watermelons have done in my area.

I like Jubilee. Put the pot on to boil, then pick the corn. Or better yet, roast on the grill. And yes I am one of those weirdos who likes his corn a bit on the mature side with larger kernels and ok if a bit starchy. I prefer corn that is not so tender when I pick it. My family prefers it more tender so I have to leave a few cobs on the stalk longer just for my personal eating.

• Mandy Mckinzie
    8 years ago

I loved mirai, but I also like some of the older varieties, too. I've never been the kind to stop using something just because the "new big thing" came along! lol.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    8 years ago

Farmerdill, Nice looking corn, There is so many choices and I too will stick to my mirai 301 from Park Seeds, It has been doing excellent for me so no reason to change for now.

• prput68
    8 years ago

I've grown Silver Queen, Bodacious, Incredible, you gotta have it and a few others but I started growing Mirai two or three years ago and I love it. It is all I plant these days. I've had good luck with it most years but like everything else it depends a lot on weather conditions. I guess it depends a lot on personal tastes and growing conditions.

• HU-227652194
    5 years ago

I have grown Mirai for years and have planted other various bicolor corn as well in the past but obviously not together. Actually when they first hit the market that I am aware of. I loved the flavor and how tasty the corn is. I am not a fan of tougher corn which some people like and that is tough on the stomach. Mirai is so good, having several ears a meal is tough to resist. My family loves it and I actually turned on some of my co-workers and they were amazed! I sound like a Mirai corn salesman! lol...I don't have to have Mirai but if I grow it, my first choice outside of maybe burpee peaches and cream or something along that line. When it comes down to it, depends on preference I guess. Mirai is sold out early every year so it must be a big hit.