Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Cucumbers this year.

newyorkrita
10 years ago

Picked my first cucumbers of the year today. I had one Straight Eight and one Burpless. Pictured with my one zucchini for today. I made a salad out of all three.

Comments (56)

• lkzz
    10 years ago

I am growing County Fair, Ashley, and Munchers. The seeds were excellent BUT the rain has brought blight to the leaves. Producing beautiful fruit, lots of flowers, lots of buzzing bees but the leaf disease is rapidly taking over because of the incessant rain.

I have managed to jar-up some dill and bread & butter pickles - thankful for that.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picked lots of cukes today. These in the picture are my Burpless ones.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more cukes Straight eight and the top one is a Suyo Long

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now the Camilla cucumbers.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Your daylily/cucumber garden is gorgeous, and your are getting great production! Yum! Do you share the extras - I can't imagine eating that many cucumbers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I do share. My friends and neighbors get cucumbers all season long. I have people that have been getting cukes and tomatoes from me for years. They always ask about my garden in the spring to be sure that I am growing cucumbers so that I will have plenty extras.

I do eat many as my favorite summer lunch is a nice cucumber and tomato salad.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

How does the cuke with all female flowers get pollinated?
    Cross-pollination?

I have a single cuke plant burpless hybrid with no males.
    It has recently put out almost 10 females and only 1 developed into fruit. The rest are yellowing and dying. I don't know how to pollinate without males, and I don't know how the cucumber growing now was pollinated.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

When seed companies sell gynoecious varieties, they're supposed to include a couple seeds of a pollinator plant, either all-male or regular, for this purpose. usually, these seeds are dyed some distinctive color so you can identify them. If you only planted one seed, that would be the problem.

They're also supposed to mention this on the seed packet.

Your vine probably did put out a male flower or two at one point, that wouldn't be unusual.

• terrene
    10 years ago

I love tomato and cucumber salads too! I add chopped onions, basil and olives, and use a vinaegrette dressing. I like them best fresh from the garden but will buy some produce from a local farm if I'm desperate, haha. But the ingredients have to be fresh. It is one of those summer pleasures that is unsurpassed - like corn on the cob fresh picked hours before. Yummy!

My tomatoes and cukes aren't ready until August and September though. I start tomatoes from seed outside in cups in the spring, and direct sow the cucumbers in June and July, so they will ripen together (hopefully).

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I would never be able to wait that long. Love my summer cukes and tomatoes!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and I wanted to say Camilla is not gynoecious, she is Parthenocarpic. Meaning no pollination required. Developed for Greenhouse growing but perfectly suitable for outside cuture.

I have a Parthenocarpic zucchini also this year called Cavili.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Parthenocarpic zuke! That's something I'd try. Maybe.

I think it was uscjusto who had the gynoecious cuke. I'm growing parthenocarpic Tasty Jade from Johnny's this year. After lots of impatience on my part, it's finally setting fruit.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would recommed it if you like Zucchini. Large tasty, light (almost white) green fruit. It sets like crazy. Lots and lots and lots of fruit.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Do you find the parthenocarpic varieties take a while to start setting? Mine aborted the first couple weeks. I don't recall this when I grew Diva.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, Camilla started setting right away from the very first blossoms. Never grew any other type of Parthenocarpic cucumbers so can't say how they might be. But I am thinking of trying Diva next year also.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Burpless
    {{gwi:70207}}

Straight Eight and Camilla. The small one is the Straight Eight
    {{gwi:91734}}

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

"I think it was uscjusto who had the gynoecious cuke. I'm growing parthenocarpic Tasty Jade from Johnny's this year. After lots of impatience on my part, it's finally setting fruit."

I'm not sure which variety mine is. I lost the tag and all I remember is burpless hybrid. I planted it as a start and it came with 2 seedlings. 1 died from slugs so its possible that was the vine that would provide the make flowers. My surviving vine is still putting out female flowers but unfortunately they keep dying off without pollination. They are definitely not self-pollinating. I got lucky and had 2 cucumbers grow up so far.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just plant any old common variety cuke seeds to get some plants and flowers for polination. No point in giving up so easily!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I decided in a new garden spot to grow a second crop so I just sowed seeds of Suyo Long And Orient Express cucumbers. Both asian types.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Burpless cucumbers picked yesterday.
    {{gwi:91735}}

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Mine have just started to flower. But only MALE ones though!! I see some tiny Fems are growing. It wont be long.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Usually those male flowers start off first anyway.

I forgot to post pictures of "Cucumber Alley"

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Different variety in each row?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the left is just a short section that has my Burpless cukes. Then on the right, very far end has Camilla, then Green Fingers, Suyo Long and then Straight Eight. Very near end has Burpess Sugar Cube Cantalope type Melons.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Surprised you can keep them all straight!

I finally got Tasty Jade producing. 12 inches long, very very crisp and seedless. I'll grow these again.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can tell the fruits apart after they develop as each looks different enough to be unique.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Todays cuke harvest of Straight Eights, Burpless and Camilla.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Tasty Jade

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those Tasty Jade look really good. Not a variety I have ever tried to grow.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

They are excellent quality. Not extremely prolific, at least not so far.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the first year I have gone for a second season cucumber crop. Started seeds just recently and today just now I planted them out. I have Orient Express and Suyo Long. So the idea is too have cukes later into the season than when I have to pull out my spring planted ones.

• njitgrad
    10 years ago

If I had as much gardening real estate as you I would be in heaven.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I just set out my third planting of cukes, under cover. The hope is for them to start fruiting when the beetles have killed the earlier vines.

I've got backup squash plants, too, but I can't find a space to put them with the first planting taking it all up.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to laugh at the idea of having all this room. I had to make room! The Orient Express cucumbers went in a narrow raised bed that is the third section of a series of raised beds. I had to pull out Tall Bearded Iris plants to have room for cucumbers. The Suyo Longs went in the second tier section of the raised bed in back of the daylily plants since it is a flower garden.

My early season cukes are planted on trellis sections that run thru the main path in my upstairs daylily garden. My tomatoes are in garden beds I created by plopping them along in the lawn between my driveway and house.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More cucumber harvest.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This year I decided to plant a second planting or fall harvest of cukes. First time I have done that. The little seedlings are doing well. Hopefully they produce after my spring crop done and pulled.
    I have Suyo Long and Orient Express planted.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I looked it up and last year I pulled out my cucumbers on Sept 15th. They had never lasted that long before. But they looked, really, really ratty by then. More than normal.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More cucumbers picked.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lots of nice cukes this year.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Rita,

all your cuke pics are making me so jealous!!

What's your secret?

• ltilton
    10 years ago

My first planting of Tasty Jade is winding down now and my second planting of Marketmore isn't vigorous at all. # 3 is another Tasty Jade and I see one baby cuke already. Hope it's in production by the time I pull #1, although I'm thinking it might get a 2nd wind.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No secret. I just plant them out in early May and they grow.

I did start a second planting this year. Those are growing nicely and looking good. We will see how they do. I am hoping to get cukes late in the season that way this year. The spring cucumbers are often done by end of August. Last year they did last till mid September which was very unusual and very late.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Do you get cucumber beetles there?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, there are always some. I squish any that I find.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My for fall planted cucumber are growing like mad. And there are flowers starting.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Meanwhile I am picking lots of cucumbers from the spring plants. Here is Straight Eights that I picked.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Burpless variety grow large!

• danzeb
    10 years ago

I planted Burpee Hybrid II. The cucumbers are tasty with no bitterness. I planted 3 seeds 2 inches apart. They have not been sprayed with any insecticides or fungicides. They are the healthiest cucumber vines I've ever grown which surprises me since by this time of year my cucumber vines are usually dieing off. The vines have grown 15 ft and are very healthy.
    I've gotten about 40 cucumbers from the three seeds and the plants are still producing.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Rita, I'm curious, how did your second planting of cucumbers do last year?

• njitgrad
    9 years ago

I really really hate this thread ;) because I can't come anywhere near this level of production at my new house. I keep getting hit with brown spots on leaves, three years in a row. Even my three week old seedlings are already starting to get it. At my old house I had SO many cukes every single year that they were coming out of my ears.