Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christyanne926

:-( Watermelon suddenly wilting?

christyanne926
10 years ago

Hi-

I hate to post one of these SOS threads, but I'm really not sure what's going on. I've never grown watermelon before this year, and have these sugar baby plants which looked great at noon today. Around 4, it now looks like the picture.

It doesn't really resemble the pictures of bacterial wilt I've seen, and I broke off one of the curled leaves and tried to see if the sap was stringy, but it did not appear to be.

I also checked for frass, but did not see any.

And yes, I know I'm a bad plant parent for letting the grass in front of these grow up, but the plan is for the vines to run out over the grass.

Any suggestions as to what this is and what to do about it would be greatly appreciated. I was really hoping for some homegrown watermelon :-(

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Are they getting water? Examine main stem for any kind of damage/insect. What kind of soil are they planted in? They look a little under fed, but that wouldn't make them wilt.

• christyanne926
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We had a heavy rain this morning and last night, so I'm pretty sure they're not underwatered.

The soil is a mix of top soil, compost, and some of last years potting mix I threw in when I was emptying out containers. The mulch is a wood chip.

I didn't see any damage, but have been fighting pests all season. The cucumber beetles are relatively under control now, I still catch one or two a day. I've been removing squash bug eggs (I don't even know if that's a suspect?) from my squash nearby. I saw the svb moth earlier this week, but smashed one and at least wounded another, but again no stem damage that I could see.

They are probably a little underfed-they were impulse rescues from the nursery down the way as they were closing up shop for the season, and I know at that point they stop taking care of things as well. I've been giving them fertilizer every week or so, and they had seemed to improve and have even started blooming.

Sorry for being so longwinded!

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

FWIW something seems to be holding them back. The leaves look small. The plants should be a lot more vigorous this time of year. Are they crowded in to close to other stuff? How long have you had them? The wood chip mulch might be cooling the soil too much. They like HEAT, and black plastic or landscape fabric would be much better. They like full sun also.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think, based on the descriptions, water and food is not the cause. So, either there is a root rot or damage by vine borer.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

Fusarum Wilt and similar wilts are a real bugbear for watermelons, but usually don't strike the first year they are raised.

• tdscpa
    10 years ago

Wayne has it pegged. Up until five years ago, I grew some great melons. The last 5 years, nothing. Wasted space.

• christyanne926
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'll check again today for vine borer damage. Is there any obvious way to check for root rot? I'm assuming digging them up to look at the roots would only hurt the plants more.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I'm having a serious mole problem this year and have lost more than a couple large winter squash vines to sudden wilting. Each time I check it is because a mole has tunneled under them. It is a new bed, too, which is, I think, why they are particularly a problem there. I don't know if I could have legally gotten more commas in that sentence.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I'm having a serious mole problem this year and have lost more than a couple large winter squash vines to sudden wilting. Each time I check it is because a mole has tunneled under them. It is a new bed, too, which is, I think, why they are particularly a problem there. I don't know if I could have legally gotten more commas in that sentence.

• grandad_2003
    10 years ago

I seem to have the same problem ... Apparently Sugar Baby is not very resistant to Fusarium Wilt. See link below. Next year I intend to try Crimson Sweet... or after a bit of research maybe something else in addition to CS...

Here is a link that might be useful: Resistance to Fusarium Wilt

This post was edited by grandad on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 16:11

• christyanne926
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If this is fusarium wilt, will it spread to other plants? Like the acorn squash nearby? I'm not 100% sure that is what I have, and I hate to give up on them too soon when I'm still hoping for a recovery.

FWIW, to answer a couple of questions I didn't see earlier, they are in full sun in that spot, those are 3 separate plants that came out of a 6 pack (gave the other 3 away), and the wood mulch was what I had. I was hoping since my other heat-lovers (eggplant, etc) did fine without plastic, the melon would too. They've been out for about a month give or take, but a lot of June was cool.

• grandad_2003
    10 years ago

Per the reference below, the watermelon contaminating fungus is specific to watermelon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fusarium Wilt on Watermelon

This post was edited by grandad on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 16:12

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

My sugar baby just up and died last year without any warning. I wonder if it was fusarium. Had two softball size fruits at the time, too, which were tiny but ended up being completely edible (and delicious).

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County